[cc-humanrights] Human Rights in CCWG on accountability

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Aug 7 13:19:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

On this we should be careful not to explicitly exclude the CESCR.  That
is why I have taken to refering to the IBR (UDHR+CCPR+CESCR) as the
basis.  But even that may be too much in the weeds becasue while ICANN
policies and action might impact some of the many rights in the
indivisible IBR, the manner in which this could happen is ssomething
that takes a lot more study and elaboration - something I think is the
long term exercise for WS2 and this group, among others.

And that is why one of the formulation dropped back to refer to
enshrined in the UDHR' as it call forward those other instruments as its
implementation without getting into the weeds.

The other possiblity is a reference to the Guidelines for Business & HR,
but that seems to go too far into  weeds as well.   perhaps a
formaulation like '... as enshirned in the UDHR and with reference to
the Guidelines for Business & HR.'  BTW Holly from Sidley (one of the
legal firms advising the CCWG) gave us a pointers to a paper she wrote
(attached) explaing the Guidelines to businesses.    I also found a
paper she particpate in before the Guideline were approved by the UN.

Ira M. Millstein, E. Norman Veasey, Harvey Goldschmid, Steven Alan
Reiss, Holly J. Gregory Ashley R. Altschuler, of Weil, Gotshal &
Manges:Legal commentary on the report [PDF]
<http://www.reports-and-materials.org/Weil-Gotshal-legal-commentary-on-Ruggie-report-22-May-2008.pdf>,

Both of these references should be helpful.

In the long run, since some in the WP4 groups seem to want to go through
the whole learning curve on this, we may need to spend some time in the
weeds.  One silver lining, it is the kind of activity that could also
energize this group.

avri

On 07-Aug-15 07:38, Matthew Shears wrote:
> I agree Niels.  Some simple language like (based on some of the inputs Avri had collated):
>
> "Within its mission and in its operations, ICANN [will be] *is*
committed to respect [fundamental] human rights."

> Two points: 1) unless there is some legally defined meaning to the
term "fundamental" when applied to HR I would leave it out as it is
subjective and differs by jurisdiction/state/interpretation; 2) if we do
include the word fundamental then we probably should include reference
to the minimum qualifying docs - "as enshrined in the UDHR and ICCPR."