[cc-humanrights] Proposed Session Descriptions ICANN Dublin

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:40:07 UTC 2015

Hi Niels,

Thanks for putting it together. The text is good. If we can, I would rather
wait a bit more to define the agenda of the public session. We will
probably have more clarity after our upcoming call. Do we have a deadline
to send the description?

Thanks!
Marília

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Niels ten Oever <niels at article19.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please find underneath the proposed session descriptions and agendas for
> ICANN Dublin, looking forward to hear what you think. It's been largely
> based on earlier sessions descriptions with some tweaks to make it fit
> recent and upcoming work.
>
> Best,
>
> Niels
>

> Session 1 - CCWP on ICANNs Corporate and Social Responsibility to
> Respect Human Rights
>
> There is a growing recognition among a variety of members of the ICANN
> community that some of ICANN's policies and other actions have
> implications for human rights including freedom of expression and the
> right to privacy. ICANN's articles of incorporation state that ICANN
> will operate in conformity with international law, which includes
> human rights law. This session will focus on how ICANN's policies and
> procedures can be better harmonized with internationally recognized
> human rights and corporate social responsibility standards.
>
> This session will present the work done in the framework of the cross
> community working party on ICANN's Corporate and Social Responsibility
> to Respect Human Rights and builds on the sessions held in London, Los
> Angeles, Singapore and Buenos Aires as well as the previous reports that
> were produced on this topic.
>
> Agenda
>         - Welcome and Introductions
>         - Presentation of mapping of ICANNs HR issues
>         - Presentation of relevant Human Right Impact Assessment Models
>         - Presentation of relevant Corporate Social Responsibility
> standards
> and recommendations
>         - Discussion
>
> Session 2 - Working session of Cross Community Working Party on
> ICANN's Corporate and Social Responsibility to Respect Human Rights
>
> This cross community working party (CCWP) seeks to map and understand
> the issues and potential solutions related to corporate and social
> responsibilities of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
> Numbers (ICANN). This is related, but not limited to policies,
> procedures and operations, with a particular focus on ICANNs
> responsibility to respect human rights.
>
> The objective of this session will be to facilitate dialogue between
> members of the community that have an interest in this topic. We will
> discuss in depth the research that has been done, the relevant issues at
> hand in the ICANN community converning human rights, and define the next
> steps for the CCWP.
>

> Session 3 - Joint meeting of the GAC WG on Human Rights and
> International Law and the CCWP on ICANN's Corporate and Social
> Responsibility to Respect Human Rights
>
> This sessions aims to inform and update both the GAC WG on Human
> Rights and International Law and the CCWP on ICANN's Corporate and
> Social Responsibility to Respect Human Rights on the progress made by
> [...]

*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law
School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" -
http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en