[cc-humanrights] Considerations on next steps

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 11:57:51 UTC 2015

Hi Michele,

we will go along with the idea of working party. and we are going to have a
confcall soon.
Niels and Marilia drafted document, what they already shared here. with the
objectives and scope for the working party.

"Draft goals and scope for CCWP HR

Cross-community working party for analyzing potential Human Rights
implications of ICANN’s policies and procedures

 Member organizations: (name the SOs and ACs)

Each of the participating Supporting Organizations (SOs) and Advisory
Committees (ACs) agrees to work towards achieving the goals of this
document and to seek input and participation from their communities.

 Background:

This cross community working party (CCWP) seeks to map and understand
the issues and potential solutions for the impact that policies,
procedures and operations of the Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers (ICANN) have on human rights. In particular it
focuses on the corporate responsibility of ICANN to respect human
rights. It builds on a long term community engagement on this topic,
further catalysed with the publication of the paper 'ICANN's
procedures and policies in the light of human rights, fundamental
freedoms and democratic values', as commissioned by the Council of
Europe, and after sessions held in London, Los Angeles and Singapore.
 It seeks to improve ICANN's measures to respect human rights, in
accordance with article 4 of ICANN's articles of incorporation.

 Objective:

The CCWP on ICANN and Human Rights would have the purpose to raise
awareness, provide information, facilitate dialogue and make
suggestions to the ICANN community on ways to better harmonize ICANN’s
policies and procedures with internationally recognized human rights
standards, such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR)
and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
The working party will focus on human rights that are directly
impacted by ICANN policy decisions, procedures and operations.

 Responsibilities and scope of work:

(i) To continue the process of raising awareness about the interplay
between ICANN’s policies, procedures and operations and human rights;

(ii) To map and collect information from the community about cases as
well as current ICANN policies,procedures and operations that present
an impact on human rights in which further guidance on how to
harmonize policies and procedures with human rights would be necessary;;

 (iii) To develop guidelines for the procedures that are in place or
that should be created in the policy development process to ensure the
respect for human rights;

(iv) To provide information, suggestions and recommendations to the
chartering organizations and to the broader ICANN community on how
ICANN’s policies and procedures can be developed and implemented
consistent with internationally recognized human rights standards.
This input can inform the policy development processes as defined in
the ICANN Bylaws.

(v) To propose procedures and mechanisms with the aim of producing
assessments on if and how policies and procedures under developed
and/or being implemented may impact on human rights.

(vi) Draft Position Papers and Statements as deemed appropriate

(vii) To carry out further discussions about the pertinence and timing
for the creation of a cross-community working group on this issue.

 Membership

The membership of the Working Party on ICANN and Human Rights is
proposed to include members representing the diversity of the ICANN
community. The Working Party will serve as a focal point for the
discussion, knowledge dissemination and communication about the impact
of ICANN's policies and procedures on Human Rights  Its activities
will be conducted in an open and fully transparent manner."

Rafik