[cc-humanrights] urgent - action required | agenda CCWP HR session & Presentations CCWP & HRIL session

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Feb 26 00:47:32 UTC 2016

On 23/02/2016 5:10 AM, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> I would like to request the subgroups to write up a short summary of
> what they will present at our session in Marakesh.
>
> Intermediary Liability and its impact on human rights
> (Jeremy Malcolm)                10 minutes
>
> It would be great if everyone listed here could write a short
> paragraph about the content that they would like to present
> (preferably even with slides) so we can decide what and how we will
> present to the joint session with the  GAC.

"Domain name registries and registrars are encountering increasing
pressure to effectively censor online speech, by means of suspending or
cancelling the domain names associated with the websites that host that
speech. This pressure can take the form of the threat of legal
liability, but - since registrars and registries seldom actually host
any infringing speech - more often there is soft pressure to comply with
rightsholder and law enforcement demands.  This can be even more
insidious, because their compliance with such soft pressure lacks the
checks and balances associated with the rule of law, such as a
court-ordered takedown.  The Manila Principles on Intermediary Liability
speak to this situation, providing best practice guidelines to
regulators, but also to intermediaries themselves about how to address
third-party demands for the restriction of online speech. This
presentation will critically examine how well existing industry
initiatives stack up against the recommendations of the Manila Principles."

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en