[cc-humanrights] infographic ICANN & Human Rights v0.3 pls comment

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Wed Jun 1 19:07:07 UTC 2016

Kathy Kleiman <kathy at kathykleiman.com> [2016-06-01 14:32:54 -0400]:
> The right to use domain names to help us label our websites for our
> children, small businesses, causes and organizations in ways that are
> legal and noninfringing seems the most basic of human rights.  But on
> the Internet and in ICANN, large companies would like to reserve "their
> words" and block all others from registering them in domain names.
>
> /*I would urge us a fundamental right to all to push back -- and allow
> us all to use basic dictionary words, our names and last names, freely
> and openly in all legitimate and legal ways without prior blocking or
> prior review. *//*We have fought for this Right to Words since the
> founding of ICANN -- is this something you might capture in this table?

Do I read this correctly as ensuring that there is no presumption that
trademarks trump other uses of domain name?

As you know, I'd support that, but I'm just trying to ensure I'm clear
what you mean by "a fundamental right to … allow us all to use basic
dictionary words, our names, and last names, freely and openly…"

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh