[cc-humanrights] infographic ICANN & Human Rights v0.3 pls comment

avri doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jun 1 20:50:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

While I have long felt there is a naive right of the people to the
linguistic commons, i am not sure how that roots into the UDHR derived
rights.   It is one of the important questions, but I do not see how we
argue against tradmarks from a UDHR perspective.

Also I thought that the NCSG was divided on this issue.  We saw that
division in the argument for private use gTLDs, with claims that a
company did not have the right to use the gTLD book for its own closed
purposes.  There are those, like me, who thought that of course they
could do that.  There those who argue that this is the egregious
cultural theft.   I do not know how to approach that issue from a UDHR
based rights perspective.  Would be good to getndle on it since it is a
persistant issue and I expect will need to be dealt with in the New gTLD
Subsequent Procedure PDP.

avri