[cc-humanrights] infographic ICANN & Human Rights v0.3 pls comment

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Thu Jun 2 16:56:35 UTC 2016

Hi Avri,

As you know, the closed gTLD issue had many origins, including deep
competition issues, so I think the issues here are a little different.
What I am pointing out is that the Human Rights document does not
actually include a major issue that the public interest advocates in
ICANN have been working on for over 15 years. And that the use of the
Internet infrastructure to seek ways to allow certain trademark owners
to dominate basic dictionary words. I can't think of a more basic right
than the right to use our names (first and last) and basic dictionary
and descriptive words in legal and noninfringing ways.  That's what
completely legal outside of the Internet.  Yet again and again trademark
owners have come to ICANN seeking additional protections -- including
the right to block basic dictionary words (which happen to be
trademarks) in all second level domains.

In fact, I note Rights Protection Mechanisms in the Table embodies this
ides of "ownership" of a string of letters in the Domain Name System --
completely contrary to free expression, fair use and "free use of common
words" arguments that many in the Noncommercial Users Constituency have
made for years.

- For example, "Protection of International Organization Names in all
gTLDs" -- The International Govermental Organizations have come in many
times to ICANN seeking to protect **their acronyms** in all second level
domain names. But that would mean that the World Health Organization
(WHO) would then "own" the word "WHO" online in all gTLDs -- although a
famous rock group, The Who, should probably have a future
WHO.ROCKANDROLL and someone might legitimately want to register WHO,
WHAT, WHY, and WHERE and some future .REPORTING generic top level domain
to teach the basics of reporting. All of these acronyms are used many,
many times by organizations and companies... So far, the answer has been
No. Why would this Table say otherwise???

Overall, trademarks need protecting, but so does the balance of language
and its use by all. How can you can protect trademark rights without
protecting the traditional balances to trademark rights?  And if so,
where are the protections for the traditional limits of a trademark
(which is a limited right to use a term/terms for a specific commercial
category of goods and services), and yet not block all forms of
noncommercial and commercial non-infringing and legal use?

Almost every word is trademarked in the US Trademark Office, yet we have
not stopped speaking yet ... :-)... or naming our children,
organizations, groups and small businesses.. or criticizing corporations
that need it, brands that harm people, and corporate practices that
abuse them... Are such rights embodied in the Table?  Guidance welcome!

Best, Kathy (Kleiman)