[cc-humanrights] some notes for our meeting today

Stefania Milan netpolicy at stefaniamilan.net
Wed Mar 9 16:53:48 UTC 2016

Folks, three short considerations for our F2F meeting in Marrakech today. I will join you later because of the overlap with the F2F meeting of the NextGen RDS PDP WG (new WHOIS).

1- I believe we need to evaluate and perhaps restructure/revisit the rationale for the subgroups we established in Dublin. Why? We want to ‘staff’ the various PDPs and other processes that are going on within ICANN and have potential HRs implications, but we are not covering them all (see Milton’s comment in a recent meeting here in Marrakech - I lost track which one, sorry). I guess mapping what other “things" would need to be covered (e.g., Thick WHOIS, RDAP…), and whether we feel the need to do so, would be a good exercise.

2- Subgroup 5 that I coordinate has been dormant so far. This was in line with the schedule of the RDS PDP WG we are supposed to contribute to. However, it is time to start doing some work. Counting heads would be useful, also because there might be other arrangements (e.g., a liason or something, as Niels suggested in an earlier conversation). I see the value of a subgroup visibile in the wiki and that more people might want to join down the line (without becoming members or observers of the PDP WG), but happy to reconsider.

3- in one of the last calls, I proposed to write a welcome letter to the new CEO, similar to what other groups were doing, summarizing what happened s far in the HRs front. Now, I have prepared a (very) rough short text for your consideration. Feel free to ignore if we collectively decide this is not a good idea. You can the text here: https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/HRlettertoICANNCEO <https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/HRlettertoICANNCEO>

See you later!
Stefania