[cc-humanrights] Update: Multistakeholder HRIAs @ IGF 2018

Mallory Knodel mallory at article19.org
Tue Dec 4 05:55:22 UTC 2018

Hi,

>From the report it sounds like a great session.

The IGF session report format is a bit confining-- wondering if it would
be nice to write it up in a narrative or blog format and post it to
icannhumanrights.net? I can help get that going.

-Mallory

On 30/11/2018 21:02, Collin Kurre wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The CCWP-HR and NCUC co-organized a workshop to introduce new HRIA
> models under development in ICANN
> <https://icannhumanrights.net/hrias-in-icann-constructive-innovation> to
> the broader internet governance community during the 2018 IGF, held
> 12-14 November in Paris.
>
> During the workshop, many participants highlighted the challenge of
> defining rights-holders amongst internet users. Even so, there was broad
> support for companies and standard-setting bodies to introduce human
> rights commitments and due diligence mechanisms
> <https://icannhumanrights.net/due-diligence-and-why-it-matters/>. One
> area of divergence related to which subset of rights should be
> prioritized, e.g. children’s, cultural, or LGBTQI rights.
>
> Examples were given to demonstrate that impact assessment methodologies
> can be tailored to address specific, or various, categories of rights.
> As a result, participants suggested that such tools can make the subject
> of human rights more practical and tangible, or allow people with
> divergent positions to engage in a constructive way.
>
> There was widespread multistakeholder support for organizing a
> High-Interest or Cross-Community Session on the subject of human rights
> during ICANN64, which will be held in March 2019. This will be an
> opportunity to showcase the CCWP-HR's progress on designing and testing
> impact assessments geared toward ICANN policy development processes. The
> initial HRIA model can be found here
> <https://icannhumanrights.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/DRAFT-ICANN-HRIA-questionnaire-model.pdf>;
> trial work on the Subsequent Procedures PDP kicked off this month.
>
> *VIDEO FROM THE SESSION
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtzw3CAj8s8&feature=youtu.be&t=143>*
> *WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION & REPORT
> <https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2018-ws-349-a-multistakeholder-approach-to-hrias-lessons-from-icann>*
>
> Kind regards,
> Collin Kurre

Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9  B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780