[cc-humanrights] Poll for next CCWP-HR Meeting

Austin Ruckstuhl aruckstuhl at cris.unu.edu
Tue Apr 7 16:30:05 UTC 2020

Dear CCWP-HR members,

Please find in-line below the notes from our call on 6 April 2020. Please keep an eye out for our scheduler for next month's call (probably Monday May 4th at 13:00 UTC) and let me know if you have questions or ideas in the meantime. Also, would still love a co-chair if anyone wants to volunteer!

Best wishes of health,

Austin

------

CCWP-HR Meeting Notes
13:00 UTC

ATTENDEES:
Austin Ruckstuhl; Carlos Reyes; Ephraim Percy Kenyanito; June Tessy; Mallory Knodel; Meagan Healy; Niels ten Oever; Rafik Dammak; Raphael Beauregard Lacroix; Suada Hadzovic; Vera Major

AGENDA:
1.	Discuss WS2 implementation and how to push the HR bylaw
2.	Article19 brief update on their HRIAs of Internet registries
3.	Volunteers for public comment on Rights Protection Mechanisms?
4.	Brainstorm our next meeting for Policy Meeting July 2020
5.	AOB

ACTION ITEMS:
1.	Ask for help drafting a joint letter to the board urging the release of WS2 Implementation Plan (Austin to ask list for help drafting)
2.	Reach out to the GAC high level working group and the ASO Chair to explore HRIA possibilities (Austin to reach out and report back)
3.	Schedule Monthly Check-in Calls (Austin)

DISCUSSION NOTES:

1.	WS2 Update
Calendar of WS1 had hard deadline. Commitment to a HR Bylaw
The Bylaw would only kick into gear when WS2 Finished.
Then there was a fear that WS2 would be graveyard of HR Bylaw
So we submitted plan to the board, took them a long time to agree on the report that was already accepted by the community with full consensus.
So now the board accepted, and 6 months later – still haven’t done much.
They are waiting on an implementation plan.
Produced by ICANN Org on how the roll-out is going to go.
Possible answer: Fear that IF they start changing bylaws and don’t have way to implement it, actors could start with CEPs or taking ICANN to court to show that they are not keeping up their own bylaws.
We should know which parts will be tasked to Org and which ones will be tasked to SO/AC
We don’t really know why it is taking so long.
What are the obstacles we could take away for the board? They haven’t given us an answer to this
GAC communique last week pushed for it, too.
Board response said would come in April
Almost no emails on the WS2 implementation team list
Even the GNSO Council doesn’t know what the plan will look like and what priorities will be. There are a lot of conflicting priorities.
Representative from org on the call said: I am happy to take this feedback to ICANN org colleagues working on WS2 implementation.
Possibility of organizing a joint letter to the board urging the release of a plan

2.	Internet Registries HRIAs by Article19
SIDN (ccTLD), Blacknight (gTLD) = Did two public HRIAs. And did a light engagement with PIR which is coming out soon.
PIR was not a complete Impact Assessment (not about the sale) but looking at the policies.
Soon you will see a document on learnings for what registries can do to respect HRs.
ICANNHumanRights.net tool online. Tried to apply that tool
High level learnings from PIR HRIA (and similar to most registries)
Doesn’t have an explicit commitment, which is a bit concerning
Process was to look at employment, procurement, provision of services, due diligence and other areas.
Human Rights was not really being considered
Sat down with different teams over three days
Didn’t really appreciate that some of their work was having HR implications before the sale.
Work needed in redrafting policies and future contracts to consider HR.

3.	Public Comment on RPM? – No volunteers

4.	Brainstorming next actions of our CCWP-HR
Takeaway for this CCWP-HR: We now have a baseline for looking at ccTLD, gTLD, PIR, ICANN org did an HRIA, and CCWP-HR did a shadow HRIA. (GNSO and Org is a bit covered…)
Could be interesting to see how the Board, GAC and ASO/RIRs would go about it to consider the whole picture
GAC: relatively short time because most work is done in person
But Govts have experience considering HRs
Action items: send an invite to the GAC high level working group and the ASO
Have people from this CCWP to go to the ASO and High-Level Working Groups
Action from that might be to discuss next steps with them after on our call

5.	AOB:
Big Public Meetings not needed unless we have something to show or report on
At the moment we will schedule monthly calls as a CCWP-HR unless the need arises for more (as needed)

    I hope you are all healthy and doing well in these wild times.

    I apologize for the delay in getting this out, but please find a Doodle below to choose a time for our next call. Voting on the Doodle will end on Wednesday, April 1st at noon UTC.

    https://doodle.com/poll/3uhqwefkutdfmxkx

    The draft agenda is now as follows. Further input is very welcome.
    - Discuss WS2 implementation and how to push the HR bylaw
    - Article19 brief update on their HRIAs of Internet registries
    - Volunteers for public comment on Rights Protection Mechanisms?
    - Brainstorm our next meeting for Policy Meeting July 2020
    - AOB

    Thanks for your time,

    Austin