[Ccpdp-rm] On RFC1591 and "binding"

Patricio Poblete ppoblete at nic.cl
Wed Apr 21 20:38:48 UTC 2021

Perhaps we can't mix and match, but when writing the FoI Report we did pick
and choose. Which was OK, because we were aware that not everything in
RFC1591 was still relevant, and much of what was relevant needed
interpretation. That is why I believe the correct way to cite RFC1591 now
is as "RFC1591, *as interpreted by the FoI*".

Of course, the most obvious part that clearly is not relevant anymore is
where it says

It is extremely unlikely that any other TLDs will be created

but if we restrict ourselves to what has to do with ccTLDs, I believe the
IDNB is one such part. In fact, when we addressed the matter of Delegations
in the FoI, we copied from RFC1591 the requirement that that Significantly
Interested Parties should agree that the designated manager is the
appropriate party and that other Stakeholders should have some voice in
selecting the manager, but we ignored completely the IDNB and the
possibility that it could be brought back to life (brought to life,
actually) to review cases where contending parties could not agree among
themselves.

I think that for the review mechanism that we are tasked to design this
point does not make much difference. But it does make us look detached from
reality when we speak of the IDNB as something somehow real, when it has
been "letra muerta" for decades.

Patricio