[Ccpdp-rm] On RFC1591 and "binding"

Kim Davies kim.davies at iana.org
Thu Apr 22 15:04:14 UTC 2021

Quoting Peter Koch via Ccpdp-rm on Wednesday April 21, 2021:

> > Moreover, a quick review shows any number of RFC’s Jon Postel penned in whole or in part have been obsoleted by subsequent RFC’s by different authors.
> > There is an argument here that 1591 itself needs to be updated and made obsolete, though it’s well beyond the scope of this working group.  FoI could have made this recommendation but did not.
>
> The observation that 1591 is effectively immutable is a feature, methinks.

If some aspects of RFC 1591 cannot be considered obsolete, and the
entire document is retroactively deemed to be requirements, we have a
bit of a problem. Some requirements from RFC 1591 that have not been
complied with for decades include:

    * .NET is restricted to network providers
    * New TLD requests must be submitted via email to hostmaster at internic.net
    * WHOIS service at rs.internic.net, using NIC handles as arguments
    * InterNIC acting as the regional registry for North America
    * Paul Mockapetris being the POC for .INT registrations

I am little concerned if there a desire for unwavering adherence to
RFC 1591 without room for assessing applicability in line with today's
operational realities.

kim