[ccPDP4-IDNWG] Open question 1 : Definition of Variants

Michael Bauland michael.bauland at knipp.de
Wed Feb 14 08:10:37 UTC 2024

Hi Bart, hi all,

regarding the variant definition, I have a clarification question. Are
we trying to define a variant TLD label? Or a variant domain name (i.e.,
SLD plus TLD)? Or just a general variant label (independent on whether
it's TLD or SLD)?

I assume it's just the TLD variant label we are concerned with here.

Here's a suggestion of a new version (under the above assumption) for
the variant definition:

> On Definition of variants:
>
> In the text the following definition of variants is proposed:
>
> *5.2.1 Definition of Variants.*Variant[1] <#_ftn1> (or alternative code
> points) are understood to mean and are defined  as the allocatable
> disposition of the selected IDNccTLD string or label, where Allocatable
> Variants for the Top Level means “a Valid TLD Label (string) that has
> been processed by the RZ-LGR with a disposition value “allocatable”; the
> label may be eligible for allocation or delegation as a top-level
> domain. See RFC 8228 for more details.

The variants of a given (IDN*) ccTLD string or label are understood to
mean those labels that are considered to be (almost) the same as the
original string. The set of these variant labels is defined by the
RZ-LGR. It is calculated by the RZ-LGR using the selected ccTLD string
as the primary label. This calculation also assigns exactly one of two
disposition values to each variant label (allocatable or blocked). Only
the allocatable labels may be eligible for allocation or delegation as a
top-level domain. See RFC 8228 for details.

* Note that this definition is not really requiring the ccTLD string to
be an IDN string. There can also be variants for non IDN ccTLD strings.

Feel free to use and adjust this suggestion as a starting point for
further improvements on the variant definition.

Cheers,

Michael

      |       |
      | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                    Technologiepark
                                  Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
                                  44227 Dortmund
                                  Deutschland

      Dipl.-Informatiker          Tel:    +49 231 9703-0
                                  Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
      Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
      Software-Entwicklung        E-Mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                  Registereintrag: