[Area 1] Sub Group 1 - Preliminary Draft

David W. Maher dmaher at pir.org
Mon Dec 15 17:23:23 UTC 2014

Thanks, Samantha.
On the subject of contractual sources of accountability, it should be
noted that the proposed withdrawal of NTIA from IANA functions will remove
NTIA as a source of accountability enforcement.
I propose that the Sub Group look for other contractual sources and at the
same time explore the possibility of broadening the scope of
accountability enforceable by contract.
For example, the registries and registrars could enter into contracts with
ICANN covering the IANA functions in addition to the following:
1. ICANN could agree by binding contract not to impose rules on third
parties (by means of policies, accreditation standards, or required
contract terms) that are not supported by a demonstrated consensus among
affected parties.
2. ICANN could agree by binding contract not to impose rules on third
parties (by means of policies, accreditation standards, or required
contract terms) that do not relate to issues the uniform resolution of
which is necessary to assure sound operation of the domain name system.
3. ICANN could agree by binding contract not to impose rules on third
parties (by means of policies, accreditation standards, or required
contract terms) that relate to online content or to online behavior that
does not threaten the sound operation of the domain name system?
4. ICANN could agree that any claim that it has not complied with the
previous three obligations may be brought by any adversely affected party
before an independent review panel that can issue decisions that are
binding on ICANN.

David

David W. Maher
Senior Vice President ­ Law & Policy