[Area 1] Sub Group 1 - Preliminary Draft

Roelof Meijer Roelof.Meijer at sidn.nl
Tue Dec 23 14:19:38 UTC 2014

Dear all,

As discussed, I suggest the table to be expanded with at least one column
„final say” or „stops the buck” or something, that states where the final
decision lies.
I bet that in most cases we will find that this is the ICANN Board. Which
is not a flaw in the system, but -as I am sure you are all aware- just the
logic result of the present (common) governance structure of the
corporation, whereby board members have a fiduciary duty and ultimately
(only) serve the best interests of the corporation.

As long as the best interests of ICANN the corporation and the „public
interest” are aligned (or are so in the opinion of the board) all is
probably well. If they are not, if the are not in the opinion of the
board, or if the board misinterprets the public interests and/or the
corporations interests, problems arise.

It surely has not always been the case, but in my opinion the board and
CEO have done pretty well over the last years in finding the right balance
(or alignment) between corporate and public/community interests.
No guarantee that that will remain the case indefinitely however,
especially if there’s no longer the NTIA/USG to subtly threaten with
corrective measures...

As far as I understand it, we mean by „enhanced accountability” that
ultimately, when the *stuff*  hits the fan, the public interest will be
the decisive interest and NOT the corporation's.

I do not think that can be demanded from the board.
I agree that we should consider multiple solutions to this challenge.
One of which might be assigning the task and the authority required for
it, to an external or semi-external structure, through the bylaws of that
corporation. In such a situation, the members of that structure should
obviously not be appointed by (the board of) the corporation. But by those
representing the public interest.

Cheers,

Roelof Meijer

SIDN
| Meander 501 | 6825 MD | P.O. Box 5022 | 6802 EA | ARNHEM | THE
NETHERLANDS
T +31 (0)26 352 55 00 | M +31 (0)6 11 395 775 | F +31 (0)26 352 55 05
roelof.meijer at sidn.nl