[Area 1] Sub Group 1 - Preliminary Draft

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Dec 26 06:54:08 UTC 2014

Hello Avri,

>>  How do you see the rest of the community figuring into the determination of the Public Interest especially if it is subject to the culturally based subjectivity of the Board members?

Well as noted on this list earlier - I think there is some value in having a general community discussion about public interest - at least to establish a set of commonly agreed public interest "values" i.e. something along the lines of the core values that were originally placed in the ICANN bylaws.   For easy reference, I have copied the relevant section from the bylaws below:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/bylaws-2012-02-25-en#I

The bylaws also state: " These core values are deliberately expressed in very general terms, so that they may provide useful and relevant guidance in the broadest possible range of circumstances.  Because they are not narrowly prescriptive, the specific way in which they apply, individually and collectively, to each new situation will necessarily depend on many factors that cannot be fully anticipated or enumerated; and because they are statements of principle rather than practice, situations will inevitably arise in which perfect fidelity to all eleven core values simultaneously is not possible.   Any ICANN body making a recommendation or decision shall exercise its judgment to determine which core values are most relevant and how they apply to the specific circumstances of the case at hand, and to determine, if necessary, an appropriate and defensible balance among competing values."

I think this statement is also relevant to the concept of public interest.

An issue that does have public interest concerns - should also be put out to public comment.

Board directors can then take into account the public interest values, and the public comments received on a topic to help them form a decision.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

Section 2. CORE VALUES

In performing its mission, the following core values should guide the decisions and actions of ICANN:

1. Preserving and enhancing the operational stability, reliability, security, and global interoperability of the Internet.

2. Respecting the creativity, innovation, and flow of information made possible by the Internet by limiting ICANN's activities to those matters within ICANN's mission requiring or significantly benefiting from global coordination.

3. To the extent feasible and appropriate, delegating coordination functions to or recognizing the policy role of other responsible entities that reflect the interests of affected parties.

4. Seeking and supporting broad, informed participation reflecting the functional, geographic, and cultural diversity of the Internet at all levels of policy development and decision-making.

5. Where feasible and appropriate, depending on market mechanisms to promote and sustain a competitive environment.

6. Introducing and promoting competition in the registration of domain names where practicable and beneficial in the public interest.

7. Employing open and transparent policy development mechanisms that (i) promote well-informed decisions based on expert advice, and (ii) ensure that those entities most affected can assist in the policy development process.

8. Making decisions by applying documented policies neutrally and objectively, with integrity and fairness.

9. Acting with a speed that is responsive to the needs of the Internet while, as part of the decision-making process, obtaining informed input from those entities most affected.

10. Remaining accountable to the Internet community through mechanisms that enhance ICANN's effectiveness.

11. While remaining rooted in the private sector, recognizing that governments and public authorities are responsible for public policy and duly taking into account governments' or public authorities' recommendations.