[Area 1] Sub Group 1 - Preliminary Draft

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Dec 26 18:07:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

In the ATRT2 Final Report,  the discussion of Transparency begins on
Page 26.

ATRT1 had recommended:

> [...]

> published
> that clearly defines the limited set of circumstances where materials
> may be redacted
> and that articulates the risks (if any) associated with publication of
> materials. These
> rules should be referred to by the Board, General Counsel and staff
> when assessing
> whether material should be redacted and cited when such a decision is
> taken.

> Summary of ICANN’s Assessment of Implementation
> ICANN staff reported to ATRT2 that, as a result of implementation, it
> is now standard
> operating procedure to post all Board materials, including rationales
> for resolutions.
> These and other reference materials are archived at
> http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/meetings. In response to ATRT1’s
> recommendation, ICANN developed an implementation plan that noted, in
> part, the
> following:
> “[a]s of the 25 January 2011 meeting, staff began including proposed
> rationale
> statements in Board submissions, addressing the items set forth in the
> Affirmation
> of Commitments. If the Board does not propose significant modification
> to the
> draft rationale statements, those draft statements will be posted with
> the Approved
> Resolutions for each meeting. This practice was instituted on 27
> January 2011,
> with the posting of the 25 January 2011 Approved Resolutions. The
> rationale
> statements will be considered final when posted with the Minutes as
> approved for
> each meeting. The rationale statements are to address the sources of
> data and
> information, as well as to address community input accepted and rejected.”

> With respect to redactions of Board materials, the implementation plan
> noted that,
> “[w]hile these DIDP (Document Information Disclosure Policy32)
> conditions will
> remain the baseline for redactions, there is great value in producing
> a document to
> guide staff and inform the community on the specific issue of
> redaction of Board
> materials. As evidenced through the very publication of the Board briefing
> materials, ICANN has narrowed the previously-applied scope of its
> application of
> the conditions for non-disclosure in favor of increased transparency and
> accountability. The document was posted in March 2011. Of note, beginning
> with the 12 December 2010 Board meeting materials, the basis for each
> redaction
> was set forth on every page where a redaction occurred. A review of
> how to best
> cite to the circumstances requiring a redaction will continue.”

ATRT2 decided that implementation of  7.1 had been largely successful.
ATRT2 indicated that the status with redaction was possibly still
problematic, but difficult to judge given the nature of redactions.

ATRT2 made several recommendation regrading transparency.  Included are:

Recommendation #9.4 on Transparency Metric and Reporting

> 9.4. Develop Transparency Metrics and Reporting
> The Board should ensure that as part of its yearly report, ICANN
> include, among
> other things, but not be limited to:
> a. A report on the broad range of Transparency issues with supporting
> metrics to
> facilitate accountability.
> b. A discussion of the degree to which ICANN, both staff and
> community, are
> adhering to a default standard of transparency in all policy,
> implementation and
> administrative actions; as well as the degree to which all narratives,
> redaction, or
> other practices used to not disclose information to the ICANN
> community are
> documented in a transparent manner.
> c. Statistical reporting to include at least the following elements:
> i. requests of the Documentary Information Disclosure Policy (DIDP)
> process and the disposition of requests.
> ii. percentage of redacted-to-unredacted Board briefing materials released
> to the general public.
> iii. number and nature of issues that the Board determined should be
> treated confidentially.
> iv. other ICANN usage of redaction and other methods to not disclose
> information to the community and statistics on reasons given for usage of
> such methods.
> d. A section on employee “Anonymous Hotline” and/or other whistleblowing
> activity, to include metrics on:
> i. Reports submitted.
> ii. Reports verified as containing issues requiring action.
> iii. Reports that resulted in change to ICANN practices.
> e. An analysis of the continued relevance and usefulness of existing
> transparency
> metrics, including
> i. Considerations on whether activities are being geared toward the
> metrics
> (i.e. “teaching to the test”) without contributing toward the goal of
> genuine
> transparency.
> ii. Recommendations for new metrics.

9.5 on employee transparency and whistleblowing mechanisms

> 9.5. The Board should arrange an audit to determine the viability of
> the ICANN
> Anonymous Hotline as a whistleblowing mechanism and implement any
> necessary improvements.
> The professional external audit should be based on the Section 7.1 and
> Appendix 5 - Whistleblower Policy of the One World Trust Independent
> Review of 2007 recommendations
> (http://www.icann.org/en/about/transparency/owt-report-final-2007-en.pdf)
> establish a viable whistleblower program, including protections for
> employees
> who use such a program, and any recent developments in areas of
> support and
> protection for the whistleblower. The professional audit should be
> done on a
> recurring basis, with the period (annual or bi-annual, for example)
> determined
> upon recommendation by the professional audit.
> The processes for ICANN employee transparency and whistleblowing should
> be made public.

The Board has, as with will all of ATRT2 recommendations, agreed to
implement these recommendations.

avri