[Area 1] Regarding review and redress

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Fri Jan 16 20:36:33 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I have reviewed (no pun intended) this discussion to update the section
of our definition document attempting to define what accountability
mechanisms should be labelled "review" or "redress".

Of course, no redress can happen without first "reviewing" the decision
at stake. And within the thread we looked at the distinction from the
point of view of a party to the dispute.

But for the sake of our work, we need clear delineation between a
"review" mechanism and a "redress" one. I propose to base this
delineation on the ability of the outcome of the mechanism to be binding.

I will make sure we spend some time in Frankfurt to discuss this. Below
is the relevant extract of the definition document.

Best
Mathieu

a._Review mechanisms_

The definition of “review” is : “a formal assessment or examination of
something with the possibility or intention of instituting change if
necessary.”

The group considers review mechanisms to be mechanisms that assess the
performance and relevance of processes or structures, and provide non
binding recommendations for improvement.

Examples include:

-Periodic structural reviews of SOs and ACs (as currently mandated in
the ICANN Bylaws)

-AoC-mandated ICANN organizational reviews for Accountability and
Transparency; Security, Stability, and Resiliency; WHOIS; and
Competition and Consumer Trust.

b._Redress mechanisms_

The definition of “redress” is : “remedy or compensation for a wrong or
grievance”.

The group defines redress mechanisms as mechanisms that focus on
assessing the compliance or relevance of a certain decision, and can
conclude to its confirmation, cancellation or amendment. Thus, an
accountability mechanism of the “redress” category, always starts by
“reviewing” the decision. However, its output of is binding.

Examples include:

-Independent Review (if it is considered to be binding)

-State of California or jurisdictions where ICANN has a presence Court
decisions

Le 16/01/2015 13:06, Bruce Tonkin a écrit :
> Hello Roelof and others commenting on this thread,
>
>>> Thanks for that, Bruce. And so, a review can lead to a redress, but does not necessarily do so.
> If a review concludes a „a wrong or grievance” (Bruce’s wording) and the advice is binding, redress will follow. If it does not conclude that, there will be no redress. If the advice is a recommendation, redress might follow. Or not.
>
> As Kavouss has noted reviewing whether the Board has not followed its bylaws or breached an agreement is the first step, and then if fault is found - redress is a second step.
>
> Some processes include the review and redress within the same panel, and some do not.
>
> Using UDRP for example   (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/policy-2012-02-25-en).
>
> The review step considers whether:
>
> (i) your domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights; and
>
> (ii) you have no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and
>
> (iii) your domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.
>

> If the UDRP finds in favour of the complainant, the redress step is specified as:
>
> "The remedies available to a complainant pursuant to any proceeding before an Administrative Panel shall be limited to requiring the cancellation of your domain name or the transfer of your domain name registration to the complainant.".
>

> Both the domain name registrant and complainant also have access to court proceedings:
>
> "The mandatory administrative proceeding requirements set forth in Paragraph 4 shall not prevent either you or the complainant from submitting the dispute to a court of competent jurisdiction for independent resolution before such mandatory administrative proceeding is commenced or after such proceeding is concluded"
>

> Looking at the "review" mechanisms in the bylaws:
>
> Ombudsman - this is really a mediation service.
>
> "The principal function of the Ombudsman shall be to provide an independent internal evaluation of complaints by members of the ICANN community who believe that the ICANN staff, Board or an ICANN constituent body has treated them unfairly."
>
> "The Ombudsman shall serve as an objective advocate for fairness, and shall seek to evaluate and where possible resolve complaints about unfair or inappropriate treatment by ICANN staff, the Board, or ICANN constituent bodies, clarifying the issues and using conflict resolution tools such as negotiation, facilitation, and "shuttle diplomacy" to achieve these results."
>
> This mechanism does not follow a conventional review and redress process.
>
> "The Ombudsman shall be specifically authorized to make such reports to the Board as he or she deems appropriate with respect to any particular matter and its resolution or the inability to resolve it."   Generally the Board looks to the Ombudsman to recommend improvements in processes based on the outcome of resolving disputes.

> [...]

Mathieu WEILL
AFNIC - directeur général
Tél: +33 1 39 30 83 06
mathieu.weill at afnic.fr