[Area 2] Updated draft 3 for Work Area 2

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Sat Dec 20 13:40:02 UTC 2014

Dear Mr. Arasteh

With respect, I am not suggesting deleting the GAC role, nor I am proposing anything “radical.”  [I should also note that these are just my proposals and not something our group has adopted]

Rather, I am proposing that we keep the system exactly as it is – with the GAC operating as an independent body that can provide consensus based advice to the Board.  For that reason, I do suggest rejecting GAC authority by giving it two seats on the Board itself (which is one of the proposals addressed below).  I also suggest making the current practice of consensus-based advice GAC permanent and mandatory so that we do not see GAC advice adopted by a narrow majority of States.  This, too, is not radical – it is only enshrining current practice (and it is consistent with the Board’s rejection of the recent proposal to privilege GAC advice).  Finally, though I did not address it directly in my note below, by accepting the idea of a member-based supervisory structure that monitors and can overrule the Board I am actually implicitly accepting a slightly enhanced role for governments.  The oversight structure will include membership from every part of the ICANN community – the Advisory Committees, the Stakeholder Organizations and the GAC as well.  Though that structure has not yet been defined, I expect that the GAC constituency would get a Member slot on the oversight entity and a vote – which is something more than GAC has now.

I hope that helps explain my position a bit more.

Warm regards

Paul

**NOTE:  OUR NEW ADDRESS -- EFFECTIVE 12/15/14 ***

509 C St. NE

Washington, DC 20002

Paul Rosenzweig

 <mailto:paul.rosenzweigesq at redbranchconsulting.com> paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com

O: +1 (202) 547-0660

M: +1 (202) 329-9650

Skype: +1 (202) 738-1739 or paul.rosenzweig1066

 <http://www.redbranchconsulting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=9> Link to my PGP Key