[Area 4] A reading of the Business Constituency's ten "Stress Tests"

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Tue Dec 16 19:46:02 UTC 2014

Dear Eric, Dear Colleagues,

I think as a first phase we should try and expand our list of candidates
contingencies before focusing to higher impact / most relevant ones. The
BC ones may need some adjustment to be considered "contingencies" but I
think they are a relevant contribution. Malcolm Hutty's scenarios are
useful as well.

As discussed during the call today, I'd like to offer additional
possibilities where we could find contingency ideas. First of all, while
reading the latest SSAC advisory (SAC069) I noticed the following
recommendation :

>     Recommendation 3: Each of the communities should investigate and
>     clarify the process
>     for handling the possibility of governmental sanctions and
>     restrictions (e.g., the protocol
>     for obtaining OFAC2 licenses where U.S. sanctions might interfere
>     with the ability to
>     execute proper instructions to IANA) following the stewardship
>     transition.

We could turn that into the following contingency : "New regulation
passed prevents Icann from servicing some parts of the community, for
example for specific countries or regions of the worlds".

More generally, inspiration for contingencies can be found in generic
risk management standards. All of them start with identifying a list of
threats that are relevant to the organisation. Unfortunately my
documentation on the matter is all in French and I'm struggling to find
references in English but to illustrate the kind of threats that are
usually explored I can provide the following non exhaustive list :
- Anti-Trust action (or class action) against Icann
- New regulation or legislation (see above)
- domain industry financial crisis, leading to sudden drop in revenues
for Icann
- conflict with a significant financial contributor leading to this
stakeholder refusing to pay fees
- new technology competing with DNS leading to sudden drop in domain
name numbers
- Governance crisis within Icann leading to inability to reach decisions
for a long period of time (6 months to 18 months)
- Major corruption or fraud within Icann
- Chairman, CEO or major officer acting in a manner inconsistent with
the organisation's mission
- Major personal data leak due to failure of Icann's security
- Financial crisis affecting Icannn's reserves in a manner that
threatens its continuity

I hope this helps, please feel free to elaborate or reject.

Best,
Mathieu

--
Mathieu WEILL