[Acct-Legal] Proposed next steps

Rosemary E. Fei rfei at adlercolvin.com
Wed Apr 1 00:12:52 UTC 2015

Dear all:

In advance of the Legal Sub-team call tomorrow, we wanted to share some thoughts about the process going forward, in order to address your needs in the most efficient way over the next several weeks.  On the CCWG-ACCT conference call early this morning, we sensed that some participants from the larger group were looking for a more developed legal work product from us, perhaps one that analyzed alternative governance models and made a specific, concrete recommendation, rather than merely a set of responses to your questions that inventoried possible tools for use in developing such a model.  Given the three days we had to prepare our initial responses and the directions we received on the March 24 call, we understood that this was not the immediate goal of last week's work.  In light of the very tight timeframe that CCWG is operating under, however, we are particularly concerned about the realistic chances for generating this sort of work product going forward if there isn't clarity on what you need from us, as well as sufficient time for us to fully understand your needs and develop robust strategies and structures to meet them.

If you are looking to us to develop a cohesive governance model on the basis of what you have discussed in your meetings and described in your documents, here is what we propose:  We would deliver a governance model (or, if we conclude that no single model under California law will fully meet your needs, alternative models) reflecting the goals you have enunciated so far and taking into account your existing organizational structure.  We would describe the advantages and disadvantages of the model(s) we propose with respect to the goals in the scoping document.  We would not deliver draft bylaws provisions at this stage, since the purpose of the model(s) is to allow the Legal Sub-team and/or the CCWG to react to the model, to select a model if we propose more than one, and to consider modifications to the model within the legal framework.  Drafting bylaws would proceed only once the model has been approved.

For this step, we will need at the very least two solid weeks, and ideally three weeks, from the time you give us the go-ahead to the time when we deliver our governance model recommendations to you.  During that time, we expect we will have questions for the group, to supplement information in the written materials, calls, and meetings to date, or clarify our understandings, but we would need most of that time to focus our efforts on the work product itself, rather than on communications or answering new questions.

We look forward to discussing next steps with everyone on the call tomorrow.
Rosemary
Rosemary E. Fei
Adler & Colvin
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 1220
San Francisco, CA 94104
415/421-7555 (phone)
415/421-0712 (fax)
rfei at adlercolvin.com<mailto:rfei at adlercolvin.com>
www.adlercolvin.com<http://www.adlercolvin.com>

Adler & Colvin is a San Francisco Green Business certified by the City and County of San Francisco. Please consider the environment before you print this email.