[Acct-Legal] Response to two questions posed in agenda

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Fri Apr 3 16:22:20 UTC 2015

I can't help but wonder about liability issue -- and if, given the nature of ICANN's work (regulating the domain name industry) if there could be a greater risk for community participants taking on a member role in a membership organization than might typically be the case.  Since ICANN's members are industry competitors and ICANN is always making decisions which benefit some community players over others, might these members be at risk of being sued for self-dealing (exactly what isn't protected) on a very practical level?  It doesn't take much to make a claim of self-dealing - and having to deal with that could be enough to discourage participants from wanting to take on a true member role.  Perhaps the exception doesn't quite swallow the rule in this case, but I wonder if it takes a big bite out it.  Would appreciate hearing others thoughts on this point.  Thanks!

Robin