[Acct-Legal] Sidley Austin and Adler & Colvin: Legal Assessment: Proposed Accountability Mechanisms

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Sat Apr 11 18:46:52 UTC 2015

Thanks, Holly.

Would it be possible to get analysis of the community veto proposal rather than the one sentence: "This type of community veto power is not legally viable unless it is accomplished through other structures discussed, such as with statutory members or with a full board / small board approach."

Perhaps it wasn't clear in the template that this mechanism would have to be exercised under one of the different corporate governance models under consideration.  So we were hoping to see some evaluation of the *how* this power could be exercised under the different models under consideration.  I note in the template for "existing AC/SO structures" describes a designator structure in which the Advisory Committees and Supporting Organizations form unincorporated associations and are provided with some of the powers at issue here.  This specific community veto proposal could be one example of these designators exercising powers.  And the legal memo says (without saying) that some kind of community veto proposal could be legally viable under a membership structure, the full/small board approach and possibly other structures - like described in the earlier template on existing AC/SO structures.

So I was hoping we could get the evaluation of this community veto proposal that the other proposals were given: *how* would we exercise a power like this under the structures in consideration?  Would that be possible?

Thank you,
Robin