[Acct-Legal] Sidley Austin and Adler & Colvin: Legal Assessment: Proposed Accountability Mechanisms

Rosemary E. Fei rfei at adlercolvin.com
Sat Apr 11 19:39:08 UTC 2015

Robin, I agree with Josh, at least some of the answers you seek are in the other templates, which is why we gave such a short answer to the Community Veto template.

But I would also just point out that there is one option, the two-tiered board approach (which I prefer to call the board-in-a-board approach, to be more accurate), that would allow the Community Board (the full board, all with fiduciary duties) to overrule virtually any decision they chose to of the Executive Board (the small committee within the full board).  This extreme flexibility and high level of empowerment, accompanied by fiduciary duties, are the primary characteristics of this model that I believe should drive accepting or rejecting it -- both these characteristics might be viewed as positive or negative, depending on one's point of view.

On the fiduciary duty issue, so long as the Community Board properly delegates management of ICANN to the Executive Board and exercises minimal oversight (getting reports on Executive Board actions and reviewing them to see if anything is amiss, for example, and not ignoring reports of mismanagement), the Community Board members who are not on the Executive Board may fully rely on the Executive Board directors to fulfill their fiduciary duties. But whenever the Community Board takes a decision away from the Executive Board, then all Community Board directors would have full fiduciary duties in making that decision.  While there is potential personal liability to Community Board for a breach of fiduciary duties on these decisions taken from the Executive Board, there are also mechanisms to lessen the exposure in many circumstances (insurance and indemnification among them).  Moreover, a director's breach of fiduciary duty would involve either (1) not paying attention or not acting when the need for action arises, (2) acting in bad faith, (3) acting for personal self-interest, or (4) acting contrary to the best interests of the corporation.  As to the first three standards, it seems difficult to me to argue one wants directors to do nothing, or act in bad faith, or for personal interests.  As to the final standard, it's important to note that assessing what the corporation's best interests are is an individual and subjective matter for each director, which should be informed by each director's knowledge and beliefs about their constituency's interests and values.

I also note that the board-in-a-board approach could be used whether the community members were legally structured and designators or members.

I've drafted the foregoing based on discussions with Sidley, but they have not signed off on this, so until they have that opportunity, please treat this as an Adler & Colvin answer.

Rosemary

Rosemary E. Fei
Adler & Colvin
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 1220
San Francisco, CA 94104
415/421-7555 (phone)
415/421-0712 (fax)
rfei at adlercolvin.com
www.adlercolvin.com

The information in this e-mail message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail the sender at rfei at adlercolvin.com, and delete all copies of this message and its attachments, if any.  Thank you.
Adler & Colvin is a San Francisco Green Business certified by the City and County of San Francisco. Please consider the environment before you print this email.