[Acct-Legal] [CCWG-ACCT] Legal question

List for the work of CCWG-Accountability Legal SubTeam ccwg-accountability5 at icann.org
Tue Apr 21 16:55:44 UTC 2015

Counsel,

Please do address the questions raised by Chris Disspain. The questions are below but for the avoidance of doubt, transcribed here:

Under the current structure of ICANN and its SOs and ACs

1. Is it correct that a bylaw saying that a combination of those SOs and ACs can veto the budget or veto a bylaw change can be drafted and put in to the bylaws?

2. Is it correct that were there to be such a bylaw and the SOs and ACs were to veto the budget or a bylaw change pursuant to that bylaw then the Board of ICANN could ignore that veto and that the SOs and ACs could not enforce the veto?

3. Is it correct that the veto bylaw could be drafted to require binding arbitration in the event that the Board refused to follow the SO/AC veto and if so would the Board be bound by the arbitration finding?

4. Is it correct that a Board spill bylaw could be inserted in to the bylaws and if triggered would be enforceable?

Best regards,

León