[Acct-Legal] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] Suggested text for designator model

List for the work of CCWG-Accountability Legal SubTeam ccwg-accountability5 at icann.org
Wed Apr 29 15:53:28 UTC 2015

Dear CCWG,  In the short time available, I have undertaken a quick mark up of the section that Jordan circulated.  My comments are in red.  Please note that these are my comments only and do not reflect input from my Sidley and Adler& Colvin colleagues, but in the interest of time I wanted to provide a flavor of some of our likely comments. Holly

1.6.1.1 The Community Mechanism: Reference Mechanism

1.        In its deliberations and in discussion with its independent legal counsel, it has become clear that ICANN as a non-profit corporation based in California is able to reserve to the multistakeholder community the powers the CCWG is proposing. To reserve these powers, however, ICANN needs to make use of membership or designator roles.

2.        While the status quo has elements of a designator model, efforts to expand the powers of designators under the ICANN bylaws would be insufficient because such bylaws would be unlikely to be enforceable to the degree the global multistakeholder community - or this CCWG - would expect. In preparing for the environment that emerges following the end of the post-NTIA contract, our task as a CCWG is to strengthen ICANN’s accountability, not to allow it to be weakened. So the status quo is not an option.

3.        California law, similar to the law of many other jurisdictions, allows for membership of non profit corporations. Members have certain powers provided by law that can be expanded upon through articles and bylaws in a manner that is enforceable.

4.        The CCWG has therefore decided to propose to the community in this Public Comment report a Reference Mechanism based on membership, as it is the approach that - based on analysis so far - fits requirements best. The Reference Mechanism would have the following key characteristics:

a.    The ICANN Supporting Organisations and Advisory Committees would each become a “Member” of ICANN, and as unincorporated associations would exercise the community powers set out in this part of this Report.

b.    In their role as Members, they would exercise the new community powers set out in 6.6.2-6.6.7 below. Our legal counsel have advised that this is the clearest path to realizing the powers we are proposing.

c.    There would be no need for individuals or organisations to “join” ICANN or to “join” the SOs or ACs they participate in to do anything that they currently do within ICANN. Community participants would have the choice of opting in and participating in this new accountability system, or to simply keep on doing what they do today in an ICANN that is more accountable than it is today.

d.    Our legal counsel have advised that through this structure, there would be no material increase in the risks and liabilities individual ICANN participants face today. In fact, in some respects individual participants may have greater protection from hostile legal action than they have today.

Our legal counsel have advised that under California law through this structure, there would be no material increase in the risks and liabilities individual ICANN participants face today.  [This last sentence is redundant and we would recommend it be omitted.]

e.    A set of practical questions and answers regarding unincorporated associations is also available in Appendix X (Sidley and Adler & Colvin Memo (Unincorporated associations))

5.        The powers sought by the CCWG can be implemented under the Reference Mechanism, and it has advantages in terms of enforceability. Because, according to legal counsel, the membership model provides the clearest path for the community to exercise the six community powers explicitly sought by the CCWG, it has been suggested as the Reference Mechanism by the group.

6.        In arriving at this Reference Mechanism, the primary alternative the CCWG has investigated is a model based on “designators”. In this part of the report, we refer to this as the Alternative Mechanism.

7.        Designators are a construct in California law that can achieve reliable enforcement of 4 of the 6 community powers sought, specifically with respect to community approval or blocking of changes of bylaws and the selection and removal of board members.  There is concern however, regarding the ease and reliability with which the other 2 community powers sought (approval of budget and strategic plan) can be enforced once created under the designator model, according to legal counsel.  Legal counsel further advises that the SOs and ACs should organize themselves into unincorporated associations in both corporate governance models, whether a designator or membership structure, to ensure their ability to enforce their rights. .

8.        Legal counsel advise that the membership model creates the clearest path for the community to hold the ICANN board accountable.  In preparing for the environment that emerges following the end of the post-NTIA contract, our task as a CCWG is to strengthen ICANN's accountability, not to allow it to be weakened.  So the status quo is not an option and the community should select either a true membership model or an empowered designator model to achieve that accountability.

9.        Variations of these mechanisms were also discussed:

a.    The notion of creating a permanent CCWG or a Community Council that was the sole “member” or “designator” was considered but rejected mainly because it created additional accountability problems and offered no accountability advantages compared with the Reference Mechanism;

b.    The notion of all SOs and ACs collectively creating an unincorporated association that would be the single member of ICANN. However this model “would add only complexity without contributing real advantages”.

c.    The notion of a first step of change (in a timeframe consistent with WS1) focusing on changes in the bylaws and current mechanisms only, while assessing the opportunity to goo one step further as part of WS2.

10.      None of the mechanism possibilities should be considered “off the table”. The work of the CCWG has proceeded quickly, and our counsel are rapidly becoming familiar with the complexities of ICANN’s history and current approach to dealing with many of these matters.

11.      That said, the CCWG is clearly of the view that the Reference Mechanism is the currently preferred approach, and relies on this in much of what follows.
12.

HOLLY J. GREGORY
Partner

Sidley Austin LLP