[Acct-Legal] [CCWG-ACCT] Nomcom as a UA - legal question

List for the work of CCWG-Accountability Legal SubTeam ccwg-accountability5 at icann.org
Thu Apr 30 04:14:55 UTC 2015

For the Legal Sub-Team, our two law firms have discussed how to answer Ms. Doria’s questions in a way that opens up two options:

(1) treating the NomCom as an unincorporated association, acting as a designator, appointing directors to the Board, and

(2) treating the NomCom as a Delegate Council, not as an entity but as an internal ICANN process by which delegates from statutory members of ICANN plus non-voting delegates from other stakeholders collectively elect directors, much as they do now.

The removal process could be virtually the same under either option.

Moving to the Delegate Council option, however, does require attention to the future role of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), which presently has a voting delegate on the NomCom.

Best regards,
Greg Colvin

Gregory L. Colvin
Adler & Colvin
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 1220
San Francisco, CA 94104
Tel: 415-421-7555 x.211
Fax: 415-421-0712
email: colvin at adlercolvin.com
www.adlercolvin.com

The information in this e-mail message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail the sender at colvin at adlercolvin.com, and delete all copies of this message and its attachments, if any. Adler and Colvin is a San Francisco Green Business certified by the City and County of San Francisco. Please consider the environment before you print this email. Thank you.