[Acct-Legal] Fwd: Request for advice on Swiss law

Hofheimer, Joshua T. jhofheimer at sidley.com
Mon May 11 23:22:33 UTC 2015

Leon and CCWG Colleagues,

Thank you for the note and request.  If you recall, Sidley previously looked briefly at Swiss non-profit law as part of our preliminary response to CCWG initial questions.  See the response to Question No. 3, and specifically pages 8-9 of our memo to you dated March 27, 2005, a copy of which is attached for your convenience.

In the memo, we state that Swiss NGOs are typically established as nonprofit associations.  Such associations have members, which must be organized in some legally cognizable form.  In addition, for Swiss International NGOs, the organization must have individual members of different nationalities or private entities governed by different national laws.

Although the focus of our initial response was not directed primarily to the legal status of “members” in a Swiss nonprofit -- and what would be required to make an SO or AC a “legally cognizable form” -- we suspect that we would have the same issue in Switzerland as we have in California.

Of course, if you would like us to confirm with our colleagues in Switzerland what legal status is required of a “member” under Swiss law, we can ask that question.  We will await further instruction.

Cheers,
Josh

JOSHUA HOFHEIMER
Sidley Austin LLP