[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Proposed Agenda and documents - CCWG Auction Proceeds

Sylvia Cadena sylvia at apnic.net
Thu Apr 27 12:26:32 UTC 2017

Thanks Marika for this. I will not be able to join the meeting as I am currently in Washington and I have meetings that I cannot reschedule at the same time the meeting will be taking place in a few hours.

As I have provided my initial comments to all charter questions on the googledoc exercise, I think my contribution to this initial run through the questions is already there, so will be great to see what other contributions come up to see what progress can we made to provide answers to those questions as a group. I look forward to the contributions from the group.

I am ok with the draft of the letter to the board, although I support the comments made on the list to clarify a bit of the language and to not commit to a 5% overhead, as we don’t really know yet what will the process be managing or how yet, so it hard to review how much that will cost. Making sure it appropriate to the effort to be undertaken, that is not higher than comparable funds management, that is managed appropriately might be good starting points.

Depending on the mechanism chosen, depending on the level of oversight, and the timeline to allocate the whole amount, the cost of administration might vary. If the process is to run, lets say a one-and-only call for proposals, to allocate the whole fund in one go, for work to be implemented in 1 to 2 years with a very concrete and evaluation framework, no-site visits for monitoring and no video/communication products to share progress with the ICANN community, then a very low overhead might be possible. However, if the mechanism chosen goes more around having several calls (annual calls for 3 years or twice a year for 10 years), allocate the funds to be use for work to be implemented over a longer period for a long-time impact, with a stronger oversight, site-visits, and sharing about their progress in more detail with the ICANN community, then the overhead to be considered might be very different number. To have a commitment to maintain a low overhead is important, but

Warm regards,

Sylvia

————

Sylvia Cadena | sylvia at apnic.net<mailto:sylvia at apnic.net> | APNIC Foundation - Head of Programs | +10 GMT Brisbane, Australia | http://www.apnic.foundation