[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] For your input - Open Internet definition

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Aug 19 16:08:07 UTC 2017

For your consideration -- a TL;DR approach.

I don't remember where I got it, but I have evolved a fairly
straightforward, jargon-reduced version of "open Internet" based on three
fundamental components in elevator-pitch format:

   1. *Open access:* Minimized barriers to entry, facilitating affordable
   connectivity and informed consent in participation
   2. *Open standards:* Maximized innovation and competition without
   intellectual-property or other artificial impediments
   3. *Open content:* Minimized censorship and political barriers between
   providers and consumers of information and services

Of course, each oh these is expandable into a thesis-sized description, but
IMO best to start simple so to be able to express the ideas simply before
discovering the further interest of your audience. A comprehensive
description that only policy-wonks or technical geeks will read is useful
but only to a point. These concepts need to be understood by the masses.

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto, Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org