[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] For your input - Open Internet definition

Sylvia Cadena sylvia at apnic.net
Tue Aug 22 01:53:15 UTC 2017

I think Elliot’s proposed definition is a good start. I also like the “elevator pitch” approach that Evan shared, guess we can find something in the middle.

However, a couple of points to add:

  1.  Training on how to manage and operate the network is also important to be included. The Internet does not magically appear, it is the hard work of many men and women engineers and technicians that make it work.
  2.  Governments are not the only ones providing training, and mentioning them directly on the definition places probably too much attention on their role
  3.  Restrict access is not only happening because of political views but also socio-economic status, gender, geography/location and others. It might be best not to highlight any in particular (as we might miss some) and summarize it around discriminations instead
  4.  Translating “stack” for “layer” will be a lot more appropriate as suggested by someone else. Stack/layer does not translate as scale, though. I have not included it in my edits below though…

With that into account, I have edited Elliot’s text as follows:

“…an Internet that is equally accessible to all people for all purposes, and at every layer.

That means that no impediments are placed based on the sender, recipient, content, application or type of data being transmitted
That means that policy and regulation promote, support, facilitate and guarantee access
That means equality of access at a pragmatic level is ensured by assuring access at prices affordable to all members of society
That means training is available about how to manage, operate and use the Internet, as well as education in how to use it effectively
That means participation on an equal footing at all levels is encouraged, specially by those that might be discriminated against

An open Internet is one in which all people are empowered to contribute and to participate in building a worldwide culture that opens our hearts and minds by respecting differences. It is an Internet that we, the people of the world, recognize as ours  — something we have built together for one another.”

Sylvia

————

** ISIF Asia call for grants proposals and award nominations is open until 30 August (midnight UTC) www.isif.asia<http://www.isif.asia/> - Get started and submit your application! **

Sylvia Cadena | sylvia at apnic.net<mailto:sylvia at apnic.net> | APNIC Foundation - Head of Programs | +10 GMT Brisbane, Australia | http://www.apnic.foundation<http://www.apnic.foundation/>