[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] For your review - Objective/priorities & examples mind map

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 24 04:22:07 UTC 2017

I agree with Elliot.

We certainly are not going to fund a new backbone network in a
country, but there are other things that are technically
infrastructure that may well be in our remit.

I will give one example. I believe that Internet Exchange Points
(IXPs) can make a crucial difference in strengthening a city or
country's Internet  along with the potential to improve performance
and decrease costs. And with a low cost:benefit ratio.

At least in Africa, and probably other parts of the developing world,
IXP are view by the local RIR as a critical part of building the
regions's capacity. And if something is strongly supported by an RIR,
I believe it implicitly is in ICANN's remit.

I will address the overall subject in my next message, but I think it
is absolutely necessary that we do not limit ourselves purely by the
name of an area, but carefully see if we can link it to ICANN in a
viable way to ensure that we get the most benefit from these funds.

If the only projects that we fund are things that ICANN could have
done itself if it had more money, then I believe we will miss a
golden opportunity to make a real difference.

Alan