[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Meeting Invitation: Communication Tools Classroom session CCWG Auction Proceeds Thursday 12 January 2017 at 13:00 UTC

Daniel Dardailler danield at w3.org
Thu Jan 12 14:33:39 UTC 2017

Thanks for the tutorial, it was interesting, for me in particular since
I've done many such intro for W3C newcomers.

One thing that I didn't hear about, or that I may have missed, relates
to the ICANN or GNSO process used by the WG chair(s) to reach consensus
and declare the work ready to go to its next step (e.g. a public review,
a board review, a final version).

That includes the role of the WG deliverable editors, how they can
change the document under the chair authority, the use of version
management, etc. More generally, how agreements are reached within a
group, how the consensus is declared, and using what tool ?

One important feature of our system is the obligation for our groups to
track their issues transparently using some "standard" semantics for
various terms such as open issue, closed, pending review, postponed,
etc. To advance through their various steps (toward a standard, or a
deliverable, more generally) the chairs must check that all issues have
been adequatly resolved/postponed (and since the tracking is public most
of the time, it's impossible to hide something or forget it).

For instance, for this Timed Text W3C group (related to caption for
video), you can see their active list of issues at
   https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/
and check where they stand, but also, for each issue, you can follow
down the links to the specific email exchanges about the issue (if you
want to read how the decision ended up that way for instance).

Anyway, I'm interested in knowing if tooling of that sort is available
at ICANN, or in the GNSO, how it'sused, or if each WG operates in an
adhoc way (e.g. the chair is responsible for tracking, however she
prefers to do it).

Thanks.

Daniel Dardailler

(I don't quite see the need for signing each of my message with my full
name since this information is already in my email From field, so
forgive me in advance if I forget this particular rule, as I never do
it, not even signing with my initial or first name, or alias).