[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat from CCWG Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Thu Jul 27 17:59:17 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email, and the MP3 and Adobe Connect recordings below for the CCWG Auction Proceeds call held on Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

Mp3: https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-27jul17-en.mp3

AC Recording:   https://participate.icann.org/p8tlt4fyef3/<https://participate.icann.org/p8tlt4fyef3/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=e2259dfccc4b8e6813510a4843eee224bf8223df4c80f2ea947f132a6e41e51a>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=uidTA5V7RlRhqXBxGhLbVHOzk2lvDzLHK99nhjsKzW0&s=G7owpjQHHbzd9bFlrfdYX7Lik6lU9W8BeG1n7HUqLpI&e=>

Wiki agenda page:  https://community.icann.org/x/YGzwAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julie

---------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 27 July 2017

  Julie Bisland:Welcome to the CCWG New gTLD Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

  Julie Bisland:Agenda wiki page:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_YGzwAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=inNktMYsFBzLxT8d44uew7HC2Up2Xb1jTTqVU-Q0_0g&s=bIM8BHQ0iJ_SzhgczMOitXu0Sf0VK_b24L4_iaWcTsw&e=

  Erika Mann:It looks like it is working. Not sure though if Adobe slides will work ...

  Erika Mann:It looks like I have a poor connection

  judith hellerstein:HI All

  Erika Mann:Hi, hi!

  Marc Gauw:Good afternoon from Amsterdam

  Julf Helsingius:likewise

  Asha Hemrajani:Good evening all

  Carolina Caeiro:Hi all

  Ching Chiao:Hi all

  Manal Ismail:Hello everyone :) ..

  Sylvia Cadena:hi everyone

  Julf Helsingius:Absolutely!

  Carolina Caeiro:of course!

  Nadira AL-Araj:please do

  Marc Gauw:Brilliant

  judith hellerstein:please go ahead

  Manal Ismail:Please do ..

  Wale Bakare:Hi all

  Stephanie Perrin:!!!!!! !!!

  Becky Burr:good morning from DC

  Stephanie Perrin:please do, having eeeeee eeeeee eeee ee eeeee

  Stephanie Perrin:typing issues

  Sylvia Cadena:no objections Erika, nice gesture

  Kavouss Arasteh: I AM WAITING TO BE DIALED UP PLS

  Kavouss Arasteh:pLS ADVISE TO CALL ME ,TKS

  Julie Bisland:calling you now, Kavouss

  Wale Bakare:I think, there is need to fletch out the advantages and disadvantages of both internal and external

  Kavouss Arasteh:Dear Secretariat, pls kindly advise to dial me up

  Erika Mann:Kavouss can you hear us

  Erika Mann:Kavouss we come to you in a second once you have audio

  Kavouss Arasteh:Yes but pls dial my phone

  Kavouss Arasteh:I am hearing you through PC

  Julie Bisland:please stand by, Kavouss. Operator is dialing you.

  Marc Gauw:......  <or whether an existing entity should be used>.... may also be .... <or whether an existing entiTIES should be used>

  Julie Bisland:Kavouss is on audio now.

  Carolina Caeiro:I agree with Marc

  Kavouss Arasteh:How many entities we are looking for

  Hadia Elminiawi:apologies for joining late

  Evan Leibovitch:There is a careful line where oversight ends and meddling/political bias begins

  Manal Ismail:@Marc are we listing theoritical options or is there a specific advantage for using multiple entities (and how to ensure consistency across?)

  Kavouss Arasteh:What is the difference between existing entities and Internal in ICANN?

  Kavouss Arasteh:wHY MULTIPLE ENTITIES?

  Kavouss Arasteh:Inside our outside ICANN

  Marc Gauw:@Manual: since the value of the funds is huge, and since there are many foundations in the world that may help, it may make sense to use 'more' existing entities

  Manal Ismail:@Sylvia I see so multiple entities are meant to handle different themes of fields, right?

  Nadira AL-Araj:Regarding the external organization(s).  Is there a limiation on the georgraphical origion of these oranization(s)

  Kavouss Arasteh:sylvia, you said one single place? Are we talking in terms of Place or in terms of entities

  Wale Bakare:I think, there is need to fletch out the advantages and disadvantages of both internal and external

  Kavouss Arasteh:Wale do you mean to have a list of Advantages and Disadvantageous?

  Manal Ismail:@Marc thanks for the clarifictaion .. perhaps dividing them by theme/objective/topic may make sense in that context ..

  Wale Bakare:How do we define the mechanism for evaluation of proposal and what if the selected entity scope of work goes beyond the mechanism put in place, as its is highly likely should more applications are received more than expected?

  Wale Bakare:<<Wale do you mean to have a list of Advantages and Disadvantageous?>> Yes,  @ Kavouss

  Wale Bakare:Yes

  Wale Bakare:I agree

  Marc Gauw:@kavous: why are many entities more costly ?

  Nadira AL-Araj:I support the move of having a proposed model in how another multi-national organizaiton handling  similar situation and then let CCWG members provide thier comments.

  Marc Gauw:Not if 'many entities' are existing entities that can right-away help out...

  Wale Bakare:Yes, we can hear you Evan

  Marc Gauw:@Evan: exactly! And the good news is that there are a number of these kind of entities

  Sylvia Cadena:agree.

  judith hellerstein:+1 Evan I agree.  We should not reinvent the wheel

  Wale Bakare:This is the reason why we should identify advantages and disadvantages of having either internel or external entity. I think, Evan has captured few of those.

  judith hellerstein:Does anyone know what the US state department does for the grants its gives out for non-profits

  Sylvia Cadena:agree.

  Wale Bakare:USAID does it well, i think

  Sylvia Cadena:that is why the evaluation of proposals and the due diligence is so important. so that we can build on trust. great point Sebastian

  Julie Bisland:please note: Samantha Eisner has joined audio only

  Sylvia Cadena:control

  Joke Braeken:thank you Julie

  Sylvia Cadena:agree with Sebastian, there are parallels we can use to keep the spirit of what ICANN does, where there are issues that are different for every region, constituency, issues addressed, etc

  Evan Leibovitch:The issue is not neceesarily where the evaluation entity is located but where its own subject focus lies. There are some that specialize or have special competence in ICT4D projects, some in infrastructure, some in education etc.

  Erika Mann:Xavier can you hear us?

  Sylvia Cadena:yes, please do

  Sylvia Cadena:I don't agree. that is very premature, not knowing the objectives

  Marc Gauw:Note that you can apply the 5-10 % rule on funding costs

  Sylvia Cadena:yes

  Nadira AL-Araj:Please can you send these questions to me to ask someone who work at DAI

  Nadira AL-Araj:yes, I agree with Evan, creating in house organization, it is very costy and I did some reserach on this issue.  It was a consensus that dealing with external established entities are much more cost effective.

  judith hellerstein:I agree with Evan, we need to make a decision now.

  Kavouss Arasteh:The speaker talked about the costs of internal entity but external could have more costs than internal .Moreover, are are compromising between the quality and successfulness or just we are worried about the cost. Itshould be tradeoff between the two

  Marc Gauw:A bit more clarification on the '5 - 10 %' :  many external foundation work with donations on a 'tax-exempt' status. However you only get/keep your 'tax-exempt' status provided you donate at least 90-95 % of your incoming funds

  matthew shears:I would have thought that the structure chosen should largely be determined by the purposes to which the funds are being put

  Sylvia Cadena:agree, but are we using the survey responses to

  Evan Leibovitch:Kavouss, an external entity woould have a fixed (and known) overheard for its operations. External would NEVER have more costs than doing this internally

  Kavouss Arasteh:Marika, pls note that there is third option and that is a hybrid

  Sylvia Cadena:agree with Evan

  Sylvia Cadena:fine with me, thanks

  Wale Bakare:How are we so sure about the external vs. internal cost implication? Let us get this clearly

  matthew shears:+ 1 Wale

  Sylvia Cadena:please focus on the outline of question 7. is about solicitation and assessment of proposals. not evaluation of outcomes for proposals funded. Call again the group to focus on the scope of the question so that we can move forward. the evaluation part is on another question.

  Julie Bisland:Xavier's line has dropped again.

  Wale Bakare:I agree with Sylvia, let us focus on the charter question 7. The page 5 of the Q7 states this clearly as guide for this discussion

  Evan Leibovitch:EVERY solution is a hybrid, as of course ICANN has its own obligations so not ALL can be done outside. Even the "external" option assumes ICANN will need some controls,

  Erika Mann:Indeed Evan

  Evan Leibovitch:So I still am unclear of its consideration as a discrete option

  Sylvia Cadena:great list of ideas there. it is wonderful to see!

  Marc Gauw:@Marika: Your presentation above looks to have less feedback than the link with the SurveyMonkey feedbacks. Could that be correct ?

  Sylvia Cadena:The mind map is a distilled version of the survey

  Sylvia Cadena:right, Marika?

  Marc Gauw:Distilled from my feedback :-)

  judith hellerstein:I understand it to be open standards

  Wale Bakare:The list of ideas are overlapped

  Kavouss Arasteh:There are considerable materials on open internet

  judith hellerstein:Also make sure that we meet the WC3 standards

  judith hellerstein:regarding accessibility

  Marc Gauw:Aha... thanks

  judith hellerstein:open internet can also be one where there are no internet shut downs

  Ching Chiao:yes Marika I'll send notes shortly

  Wale Bakare:Even, Fake News issue may be grouped as part of open internet

  judith hellerstein:OK I can send you my points via email. Who should I send it to

  Nadira AL-Araj:+1 Marika,

  judith hellerstein:Great thanks

  Sylvia Cadena:share on the list so we all have a chance to be informed. that helps juggling ideas and clarifications we might need

  Wale Bakare:+1, Sylvia

  judith hellerstein:Yes a link to the google doc would be helpful

  Joke Braeken:here is the link to the google doc: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_152k-5FW8Wkp7XecejOutuYbCwAITwgfU3uHyzZEVgznjA_edit&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=HyTT2ymvadmiQcmo6B088sWOukGjEbibHJ64u5rMiME&m=Sg1v1vzJNBnsWuEIECz11tPuHMtrtXCze_OzTRySdNM&s=mqJpaaXhbDHLQnxZvB3qYDdZV1sHINnfXftTIx-4t9E&e=

  Sylvia Cadena:agree with Marika. using the survey responses will really help

  Kavouss Arasteh:Erika, why we divided questions to be answered internally and externally. how we decide that a given question is to be answered internally and other question to be raised externally

  matthew shears:I think moving to prioirty areas based on further consideration of the clusters is a good way forward

  matthew shears:allows for greater focus

  judith hellerstein:I agree we should discount the ones that scored the lowest

  Nadira AL-Araj:But there is a clear agreement on question 6 of the survey

  Kavouss Arasteh:Yes , if that is the case and we ask the expert all questions , I agree

  Nadira AL-Araj:The priority it was on the buttom of the list

  matthew shears:+ 1 Judith

  Sylvia Cadena:that is also a way to encourage members and participants to really participate through the surveys and for the group to use them to move forward on the discussion

  Marc Gauw:I have a AOB question:  Maybe I missed it (due to my holiday), but did we ever get a response from the Icann Board on our  'Letter to the Board' of April /May ?

  Evan Leibovitch:Don't worry about this so much. If a criteria set is outside a funding body's expertise, they'll turn us down first.

  Erika Mann:I saw your point Marc

  judith hellerstein:Can we reschedule the calls that fall on Jewish Holidays, such as the one on Rosh Hashannah

  Marika Konings:@Marc - No, I don't believe so

  Asha Hemrajani:Sorry I cannot speak.  I can hear

  Asha Hemrajani:No comment for now.

  Marc Gauw:No news is good news :-)

  Wale Bakare:But delay can be no good news

  Marika Konings:@Judith - unfortunately there are many holidays (both religious and national holidays) that often conflict with CCWG meetings.

  Marc Gauw:Bye bye all !

  Hadia Elminiawi:Thank you all

  Ching Chiao:thanks everyone!

  judith hellerstein:Bye all

  matthew shears:thanks

  Asha Hemrajani:Thank you.  Great call Erika!

  Wale Bakare:Thanks, bye all!

  Hadia Elminiawi:bye

  Carolina Caeiro:Bye, thanks!

  Joke Braeken:thank you all. bye