[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from CCWG Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 08 June 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Thu Jun 8 17:36:10 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the CCWG Auction Proceeds call held on Thursday, 08 June 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

Mp3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-08jun17-en.mp3
AC Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p4m8vz6jrwn/

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=uidTA5V7RlRhqXBxGhLbVHOzk2lvDzLHK99nhjsKzW0&s=G7owpjQHHbzd9bFlrfdYX7Lik6lU9W8BeG1n7HUqLpI&e=>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/ZgvfAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 08 June 2017

 Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the CCWG New gTLD Auction Proceeds call on Thursday 08 June 2017 at 14:00 UTC for 90 minutes.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting agenda page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_ZgvfAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=EqL8JJy8f0ewId3-8sB4367m8ZTghzoDq820GwJ4mOw&s=ARTEKtmw2DQpzWjYsfrBNK5n_Gpx7MWBTXFqXNI3c_Y&e=
  Ching Chiao:Hello all
  Erika Mann:Hi Ching, hi All
  Manal Ismail:Hello everyone :) !!
  Sylvia Cadena:Hi everyone from Bangkok :)
  Kavouss Arasteh:Hi Everybody,
  Erika Mann:Hi Manal, hi Kavouss
  Julf Helsingius:Hi everybody
  Erika Mann:We will start in a second
  Victor Zhang:hi  everybody
  Kavouss Arasteh:Pls kindly speak slowly, clearly separating syllabus one fronm another to enable evrybody to understand
  Nadira ALARAJ:Hello all, on time ;)
  VANDA:hi everyone
  Julf Helsingius:Connectivity should be good in Tallinn :)
  Carolina Caeiro:Hi all!
  VANDA:yeah Julf... have tested last year...
  Kavouss Arasteh:Marika, may I respectfully request you to speak slowly and clearly
  Becky Burr:having trouble getting into call
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Michelle DeSmyter:I just sent Becky a private chat
  Erika Mann:Thank you Michelle
  Becky Burr:I'm in
  judith hellerstein:@Marika what is the access code to dial into the group
  judith hellerstein:dialled in but they needed a passcode and I could not find one
  Asha Hemrajani:Hello all
  judith hellerstein:ok I got on
  Erika Mann:Someone needs to mute
  Asha Hemrajani:Michelle helping me to get a line in, having difficulty right now.
  judith hellerstein:Yes you have to wait for the operator to come on or give the passcode auction when asked
  elliot noss:apologies for not following my charter questions precisely. is "one-time" vs. ongoing in a previous charter question?
  Kavouss Arasteh:I AM DISCONNECTED
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Michelle DeSmyter:I will we can hear you
  Sylvia Cadena:We can hear you
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Kavouss Arasteh:eRIKA, WHILE i am waiting to be connected ,pls advise what do you expect from us to say in response to the comments
  Carolina Caeiro:who is speaking? I agree
  Marika Konings:@Kavouss - this is an initial overview of comments provided. If there are any points of view that are missing, or any that you want to support / oppose, please feel free to do so. Further indepth discussion on this charter question will happen at a later stage of the process. The template is intended as a repository of issues / view points raised.
  Marika Konings:@Caroline - Alan Greenberg
  Carolina Caeiro:+1 Alan
  Alan Greenberg:Oversight, yes, but not operational
  VANDA:yes Erika. my experience is review the expert's work is what is done in many international organizations funding projects
  Becky Burr:First we have to decide what the goal of the program is, and establish criteria for applications.  Although I'm inclined to look to professionals, at this point the question seems premature
  Alan Greenberg:Becky, that may be so, but many of these comments focus on using community members to do the work/make the judgements.
  Sylvia Cadena:Fully agree with Elliot.
  Alan Greenberg:"One-time" does not necessarily imply it will be over quickly.
  hadia Elminiawi:eliot we can't hear you
  Michelle DeSmyter:I will send him a private chat
  Marika Konings:As a reminder, please connect via telephone as it is more reliable than using AC audio.
  Asha Hemrajani:Yes agree with Elliot.  While I agree with alan's point that one time disbursement instead of in perpetuity may still take significant amount of time, the scope is more defined and easier to forecast in terms of manpower neeeded.
  Asha Hemrajani:We should continually look out for more volunteers and diversity in the volunteers.
  VANDA:agree with Eliot
  Nadira AL-ARAJ:I'm along the same line that the CCWG volunteers is to put the framework in how to manage the fund. But would be less costly if outsourcing the fund management to experienced financial organization.
  VANDA:one thing does not exclude the fact that we can have also expert contracting to make some work . probelm is expend to much money in the organization...
  Asha Hemrajani:managing the funds comes in the next phase, not the CCWG phase.  I think Alan was referring to volunteering for this phase, did I get that correct Alan?
  Kavouss Arasteh:Asha, That phase needs to be recommended by CCWGc
  Asha Hemrajani:@Kavouss yes agree...my point was every phase needs different levels and type of expertise.
  Asha Hemrajani:Management is the next phase and the manpower needed for it are in the next phase.  This phase the CCWG defines the objectives, goals of the funds as well as the process.
  Alan Greenberg:My comment was about the operational phase, not this CCWG.
  elliot noss:@alan me too
  elliot noss:I understood you
  Nadira AL-ARAJ:@Allen, @Asha thanks for your clarification
  Asha Hemrajani:@Alan ok then the manpower, expertise needed would depend on the vehicle/disbursement structure the CCWG chooses as well as other factors such as what EN mentioned - one time or in perpetuity
  hadia Elminiawi:+1 Elliot is it a one time excercise or will it be an ongoing process (we need to answer this question), however this also depnds on the objective fo the fund
  Asha Hemrajani:yes exactly Hadai
  Marika Konings:Elliot, I've muted your microphone as it was creating interference
  Asha Hemrajani:*Hadia
  Sylvia Cadena:That is what we have the CoI in place. The CoI for the selection will be very different.
  VANDA:yes, Conflict is the key point  even when contracting experts and /or companies dealing with funds
  Manal Ismail:too much noise ..
  Erika Mann:Someone needs to mute
  Michelle DeSmyter:Tring to find the line
  John Levine:COI is fine, but it depends on everyone to be fully honest. WIth this much money, we can't count on that.
  VANDA:too much noise
  Becky Burr:sounds like we are 20,000 leagues under the sea
  Alan Greenberg:@Asha, nothing is in perpetuity. We have no guarantee that this money will be renewed and I din't think there is support for using only the intrest and preserving the capital. So se have to assume one-time for the moment. BUt that does not mean it will be done quickly.
  Alan Greenberg:The effort to solicit, evaluate proposal and then evaluate results over a long period of time will be great.
  Sylvia Cadena:+1 Jonathan.
  elliot noss:[sorry for that. I was connecting on the phone while trying to follow as it kep dropping inopportunely]
  Asha Hemrajani:@Alan, by perpetuity I meant something else other than one-time.  I also feel one-time is more realistic and practical but it depends on what this CCWG concludes.  I did agree with you that even one-time would take time.
  Marika Konings:apparently my line was also creating interference, so I am reconnecting :-)
  elliot noss:I guess mine are only amateur! ;-)
  Jonathan Robinson:@Erica. Thanks. I always felt that this group will benefit strongly from interaction with "experts" and practitioners in the organisation and disbursement of such funds
  VANDA:even some of us have large experience, normally we have such experience in a different part of the woeld and this can work better or worse depending on the regional cultural behavior.
  Jonathan Robinson:@Vanda. Exactly - acknowledge that there is expertise in this group but, the more we can hear from related activities and experience, the better informed we will be
  VANDA:Agree Jonathan. debate with expert will help to identify key points to cover several differences.. i am for a balance with volunteers + experts
  Stephanie Perrin:Exactly, blended model could work, and we could have different options depending on size of the grant
  Nadira AL-ARAJ:+1 Erika, on combined team to do the check and balances.
  VANDA:agree Stephanie.. I do not see one fits all
  John Levine:Definitely agree it's not a foundation.
  Erika Mann:Someone needs to mute ...
  VANDA:+ 1 John. not a foundation...
  Sylvia Cadena:Agree with Alan. Although a one time exercise, it might take a long time.
  hadia Elminiawi:@Alan, then we need to have a definite answer to "will we be using only the intetrest and prserving the capital or will we be using the whole capital or maybe use some of the capital and ...?"
  hadia Elminiawi:+1 even a one time process will take a long time
  elliot noss:@hadia, I think we decide that and I don't hear anyone here in favour of it
  hadia Elminiawi:@elliot good
  VANDA:i put my green agreeemnt
  Asha Hemrajani:Agree Jonathan on use of experts.  Good to plan in advance, understand clearly what areas expert(s) would be needed and get cost effective external help after proper RFQ process.
  elliot noss:we should use 1% as our hypothetical :-)
  Alan Greenberg:It is clear that we will not give out all of the money very quickly, so of course we will invest the cap. and use it. Of course, we will have to decide whether we invest "conservatively and only get 1+%, or take more risk over several years and get 6%...
  Carolina Caeiro:I agree with Sylvia
  Alan Greenberg:On the average.
  Carolina Caeiro:And I think we should be open to the possibility of grantees do the same
  Asha Hemrajani:Yes Erika we have the auction proceeds in a separate fund, with conservation of capital as the primary objective.
  Sylvia Cadena:I keep loosng the sound completely :(
  VANDA:XAvu=ier will clarify better thiese points to us
  VANDA:Xavier
  Sylvia Cadena:Sorry, I was trying to lower the hand
  elliot noss:we should talk $$$ and not %. people do not spend %%% they spend $$$
  elliot noss:$1m is a LOT of money for expenses to give away money
  Asha Hemrajani:The investment of the auction proceeds is as per our investment policy.  The Board Finance Committee has oversight responsibilities over the investment of these funds.
  Alan Greenberg:Of course there is a cost of overseeing the investment, but that is really a different discussion.
  Sylvia Cadena:We don't have a final amount to discuss Elliot.
  Becky Burr:fiscal discipline is critical - but the specific % for overhead depends profoundly on what we want to accomplish, how we decide to accomplish it, etc.  I think it is not particularly useful to debate at this point in time, other than to say fiscal discipline issues must be squarely addressed once we have the goals and the methods identified
  Julf Helsingius:Becky +1
  Sylvia Cadena:1M might be a lot to allocate grants, but not a lot to monitor 10 grants
  Becky Burr:at this time, identifying a specific % or dollar amount seems premature to me
  Asha Hemrajani:Yes agree with Becky's point, which I had mentioned at the last meeting as well, the goals and objectives need to be defined first
  elliot noss:+1 becky
  Carolina Caeiro:+1 Becky
  VANDA:agree with becky we have other task to deal with beforehand
  elliot noss:I will need to drop off in a minute or two so in anticipation thanks and see you all soon! (I will still be watching chat)
  Jonathan Robinson:@All.  A reminder that we heard ealry on (in the charter pre-charter process) from SIDN, Nominet and (IIRC) CIRA as to their current practices and past learnings in such endeavours. It may be useful to hear from them or others again at some point.
  Sylvia Cadena:I was not making a comment about defining the overhead but about if a portion of that is invested to be able to cover longer term expenses
  hadia Elminiawi:+1 becky
  VANDA:@jonathan. good idea, they can bring back some good points
  Erika Mann:Elliot
  Manal Ismail:Elliot said he has to disconnect .. but will continue to watch the chat ..
  Erika Mann:Elliot I take Alan first and then come back to you!
  Erika Mann:Thank you Manal
  VANDA:yes Alan, for instance this region here has the Entrepreneurs center not  part of oICANN's operation or LACRALo operation
  VANDA:but reserve will be back to operational in some time? or just to close time if needed  as is normal in this region?
  VANDA:ASha?
  VANDA:plaese explain the my point abaove pelse, jsut in the chat
  Asha Hemrajani:Vanda, sorry I don't quite understand what you are asking?
  VANDA:reserve in not for profit organization here is just for the time to close the organization , ending its activity. is reserve used for that in US too?
  Sylvia Cadena:Vanda can you speak to raise your question?
  Asha Hemrajani:Vanda, what you mean by "close the organization"?
  Samantha Eisner:No Vanda, reserve is not just for wind-down costs
  VANDA:lSylvia, elts see Asha response since can be different from country to country
  VANDA:Asha- finis its activity
  VANDA:finish
  Asha Hemrajani:ah! close = winding down
  Asha Hemrajani:no, not only for closing/winding down the organization
  Alan Greenberg:I could support the type of process that Jonathan is proposing.
  hadia Elminiawi: @alan or put it (use some of the money for ICANN reserve) as part of the purpose or objective +1 ching use it for a purpose that will remain for ever like R&D
  VANDA:Asha, thank you . understand, so reserve can be use for investment for instance..
  Nadira AL-ARAJ:+1 Alan for no fund to ICANN, not only conflict of interest but it goes against the legal advice
  Alan Greenberg:Clearly if we put any funds into replenishing the reserve, it would need to be done in such a way that we do not feel that it would be drained for operational issues.
  VANDA:yes, alan, this is the problem witth the reserve.
  hadia Elminiawi:+1 Alan
  Becky Burr:speaking for myself and not the Board, I like the conditions that Jonathan suggested
  Ching Chiao:+1 Becky , Jonathan
  Carolina Caeiro:I would like to hear from the legal about this issue
  Nadira AL-ARAJ:+1 Carolina
  VANDA:we need legal input for several issues Carolina..
  judith hellerstein:Thanks please send a reminder of when the session is
  Nadira AL-ARAJ:Thank you Erika, Marika
  hadia Elminiawi:Thank you all
  Manal Ismail:Thanks everyone .. Bye ..
  VANDA:thank you all thanks staff also for the hard work
  Julf Helsingius:Thank you everybody
  Ching Chiao:Thank you all
  Carolina Caeiro:Bye, thanks
  Sylvia Cadena:Thank you!
  Asha Hemrajani:Thank you Erika, Ching and all