[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Mp3, AC Chat, AC Recording & Attendance from CCWG Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 02 March 2017

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Thu Mar 2 23:10:23 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the CCWG Auction Proceeds call held on Thursday, 02 March 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

Mp3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-02mar17-en.mp3
AC Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p2eho8nm9zf/

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=uidTA5V7RlRhqXBxGhLbVHOzk2lvDzLHK99nhjsKzW0&s=G7owpjQHHbzd9bFlrfdYX7Lik6lU9W8BeG1n7HUqLpI&e=>

Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/TpvRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 02 March 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the New gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG call on Thursday, 02 March 2017 at 15:00 UTC.
  hadia Elminiawi:hello all
  hadia Elminiawi:yes i can hear you
  Marika Konings:@Daniel - there is no camera enabled in Adobe Connect (or at least we don't see you :-)
  Marika Konings:Sorry, am not on audio yet - waiting for a dial out.
  Michelle DeSmyter 3:k - thank you
  Mathieu Weill:Video is possible in Adobe, but needs to be activated by host
  Manal Ismail:hello everyone :) !!
  Alberto Soto:Helo eeryone!
  Daniel Dardailler:when connecting, it asks for permission to use both mike and cam
  Marika Konings:I am here but not on audio yet
  Julf Helsingius:bad feedback
  Nadira ALARAJ:Hello  All
  Mathieu Weill:@Daniel : it's just in case, and probably linked to your browser parameters
  Nadira ALARAJ:Yes we do Sam
  Daniel Dardailler:thx matt
  Ching Chiao:Hello everyone
  Erika Mann:Hi, hi
  Asha Hemrajani:Good evening from Singapore
  Marika Konings:Yes
  Sylvia:yes Sam, thanks
  elliot noss:@julf the feedback is likely on your end. all good here
  Julf Helsingius:@elliot it was a very short-lived feedback when jonathan or marika was speakeing
  elliot noss:ack
  Vanda Scartezini:hi sorry to be late
  Jonathan Robinson:@Vanda. Welcome. Briefing from Sam Eisner underway. Slide 3
  Vanda Scartezini:great . following
  Vanda Scartezini:I am quite aware on California reuisites for exemptions
  Dietmar Stefitz:Sorry for the delay ç
  Vanda Scartezini:question not to interrupt - any not ofr ptofit organization even not from US shall fill the 501 as a support to ICANN's 501?
  Marika Konings:https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article1
  Erika Mann:Dietmar - Sam Eisner from legal is taking us through the legal and fiduciary implications to consider
  Dietmar Stefitz:Thanks Erika
  Vanda Scartezini:thank you!
  Mathieu Weill:<QUESTION> Does the Charter rule out the option where CCWG would recommend a purpose for the proceeds AND an amendment to the Mission ? </QUESTION>
  Erika Mann:The Drafting Team did not discuss this, not to my knowledge
  elliot noss:changing ICANN's mission is a BIG lift
  Sylvia:Lost Sam's
  Marika Konings:5-6 months is probably even tight :-)
  Mathieu Weill:i'm well aware of the challenge of changing a Fundamental Bylaw, but thanks Sam
  Asha Hemrajani:@Mathieu that was out of the scope of the drafting team's mandate :-)
  Erika Mann:I'm fine
  Julf Helsingius:Audio is finer
  Sylvia:Got it back
  Mathieu Weill:Great
  elliot noss:figuring out how we can best use funds in a way CONSISTENT with is a broader frame that, I think, allows us to not be limited to unique identifiers in our work
  Glenn McKnight:Sound quality is fuzzy
  judith hellerstein:for me Sam is coming in clearly
  judith hellerstein:it was just the person coming via phone was a bit fuzzy
  Alberto Soto:Sorry, I have serious problems with my internet access. The service is very choppy. I have to leave the call. regards
  hadia Elminiawi:@Glenn I can't hear anything
  Julf Helsingius:Does "private benefit concerns" cover sub-organisations or constituencies?
  judith hellerstein:@hadia.try restarting the adobe connect that helps
  Marc Gauw:There are 501-look-a-like organisations outside the US, like the 'ANBI'-status in Holland
  hadia Elminiawi:@judith I'll try again
  elliot noss:(who is speaking?)
  Julf Helsingius:Bad audio from speaker
  Daniel Dardailler:hard to understand..
  Wale Bakare:Hi all
  Vanda Scartezini: i could not follow this - difficult to hear
  Ching Chiao:i tihnk it's best to have current speaker send in the question by email
  Asha Hemrajani:Very difficult to understand person who is speaking.
  Waudo Siganga:does the due diligence continue after the grant, is continuous monitoring/audit a requirement for 501(c)3?
  Vanda Scartezini:Waudo. as I made the pquestion ebfore, how to really demosntrate.. using 501 as support of ICANN's 501?
  Jonathan Robinson:@Sam. You effectively did it, but please do repeat the question in the case of poor / unclear aduio.
  Julf Helsingius:I don't think that is in the scope of the group
  Dietmar Stefitz:My Question: Is it possible to establish new foundations which comply with Icanns Mission, and care for the interest of various groups.This will give a good use for this funds and will work fruitfully for a long time .
  Sylvia:This group is not task with the design of the auction, but with the use of the funds collected through the auction
  Xavier Calvez:@Kavouss: it is not the nature of the funds that determine whether they are consistent with the mission, it is about how the funds obtained are used. Any nonprofit can generate funds in any legal means without putting at stake its status and mission,  as long as the funds are used consistently with its mission.
  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 XAvier
  Sylvia:+1 Xavier.
  Carolina Caeiro:Hi all, apologies. I am joining late. Just coming out of another meeting
  Marc Gauw:The risk on 'private benefits' or 'outside mission' can be reduced by granting in arrear instead of in advance (on 'milestones')
  Vanda Scartezini:Carolina, Samantha is running us through 501 not for profit demands
  Carolina Caeiro:Thank you, Vanda. Will quickly browse through the meeting notes now
  Vanda Scartezini:yes Marc. normally the way we do around here. in stalments  X results
  Alan Greenberg:Perhaps best to comp[lete presentation and then do more detailed questions.
  Sylvia:+1 Alan
  Vanda Scartezini:Yes, ALAn, reason why I did not put mine again
  Ching Chiao:i am sure there are many non-profit organizations that constantly using auction as fund-raising method to generate "operating" fund. Is it still an option for ICANN to do so ? (just for my curiosity)
  Dietmar Stefitz:Put my question on a easier term: Can Icann give the funds to a new established Foundation/Trust ? Which works spcially on the Mission of ICANN ?
  Julf Helsingius:Thanks!
  Erika Mann:That might create an anti-competive action
  Vanda Scartezini:Dietmar - you eman new one or need to have being operating for longer?
  Jon Nevett:ICANN funded that in the past
  Jon Nevett:so it has to be in mission
  Asha Hemrajani:I think figuring out a mechanism on how to determine whether something is within the mission is in mandate of this CCWG
  Mathieu Weill:+1 Asha
  Asha Hemrajani:@Nadira that is a good question, please see my comment above
  hadia Elminiawi:i still have a problem with my audio, i follow the transcript
  Dietmar Stefitz:Thanks
  Asha Hemrajani:Again, the method/mechanism for disbursement could be in the mandate of this CCWG
  elliot noss:can you hear me?
  Marika Konings:Elliot - have you contected your microphone via Adobe Connect?
  Becky Burr:Asha/Mathieu - I assume you mean a mechansim for asking ICANN to rule on whether something is within ICANN's Mission
  Erika Mann:@Elliot!!!
  Ching Chiao:we can't hear you Elliot
  Marika Konings:You need to click the phone symbol at the top and connect your microphone
  Becky Burr:I believe that call would implicate fiduciary obligations
  Vanda Scartezini:yes Asha , I beleive it is , we can not establish a process without go deeply to see how it will work
  Marika Konings:or alternatively dial in (or we can dial out to you)
  Becky Burr:but this group cannot have the final call on whether something is or is not within ICANN's Mission
  elliot noss:I will dial in. I am not muted
  hadia Elminiawi:@ marika for some reason it is not happenning, I am trying to coneect it, but it is not connected, in the beginning of the call before logging out it was connected
  Marika Konings:@Hadia - you may want to try logging out and logging back in?
  hadia Elminiawi:@marika ok
  Alan Greenberg:I'd really like to finish presentation...
  Vanda Scartezini:me too
  Asha Hemrajani:@Becky, not suggesting that the CCWG would have final say on what is or is not within our mission...rather figure out a way by which it can be determined whether or not something is within mission
  elliot noss:on audio now
  elliot noss:or on the call now
  Marc Gauw:Realise that if the granting 501 organisation is to 'instructive' to receiving 501-organisation, the receiving 501-organisation me run in trouble due to being considered as a 'service provider'
  Becky Burr:@Asha, ok, just want to make sure that point is clear to all
  Sylvia:Exactly, Elliot. That is my understanding around being used to support that is consistent with mission.
  Asha Hemrajani:@becky yes good to clarify that to all, that's why I wanted to mention it in response to Sam's comments.  IMO this is probably one of the most critical areas the CCWG would need to work on.
  Asha Hemrajani:Jonathan, there is a lot of echo
  Vanda Scartezini:yes pelase
  Vanda Scartezini:let's finish the presentation..
  Sylvia:+1 Jonathan
  Erika Mann:Actually we had a discussion about the topic Elliot raises. At least we haven't established principles that would narrow the future allotation to a very narrow goal related to the mission
  Erika Mann:When I say 'we' I talk about the Drafting Team
  Marc Gauw:QUESTION: Artikel 1 refers to both 'Mission' and 'Core Values'. Do we have to meet Mission AND Core Values, or Mission OR Core Values ?
  elliot noss:@erika, it sounded like sam thinks we have narrowed in that way
  Daniel Dardailler:I understand the 501 constraint that you're exposing
  elliot noss:this is indeed an interesting challenge
  elliot noss:I am confident becky will figure it out! :-)
  Manal Ismail:Interesting point raised by Alan ..
  Erika Mann:@Elliot, we had a discussion about this topic in DT, it was not our goar to define this. CCWG will have to review this. But my sense is that ICANNs mission leaves sufficient spielraum to define a funding area that is workable.
  Ching Chiao:got cut off -- dialing back
  Alan Greenberg:I think that "aligned with" gives us more flexibility the "within mission"
  elliot noss:the phrase that worries me @erika is "stable operation of the Internet's unique identifier systems"
  Erika Mann:@Alan, yes, do agree
  elliot noss:the ICANN mission SHOULD be narrow. ours maybe not so much
  Alice Munyua:+1 Alan
  Manal Ismail:+1 Alan "aligned with' and 'not inconsistant with'
  Julf Helsingius:very loud
  Glenn McKnight:yes,  back off the mic a bit, it's distorted
  Manal Ismail:yes, very loud ..
  Vanda Scartezini:@elliot. - if we stick with this sentence we will get support to techy groups only...
  Jonathan Robinson:@All. I have to step away at the top of the hour. Will hand the chair over to Ching at that point. Good questions and discussion. Look forward to continuing in approx 2 weeks time.
  Erika Mann:I see your point @Elliot but even the narrow mission ""stable operation of the Internet's unique identifier systems" needs an ecosystem to be systained. And I would think the CCWG would interprete this in a similar way.
  Vanda Scartezini:@Erika, yes if we read correctly the whole mission of ICANN what we shall do
  elliot noss:@vanda I think we are agreeing. I am calling out that phrase as potentially very narrowing
  Julf Helsingius:I agree with Erika "stable operation" gives a fair bit of leeway
  Vanda Scartezini:@ elliot. yes, just focus on open mind when reading mission.
  Daniel Dardailler:can someone explain in the mission the differences between (iii)((A) and (iv) ?
  Marc Gauw:@Julf: agree... even better "stable and secure operation"
  Daniel Dardailler:in (a)
  Alan Greenberg:I am not at all worried about the lobbying issue or using funds for personal benefit. That we can control. It is how to use the money to do things that we all agree are for the good of the Internet ecosystem and stay aligned with mission.
  Daniel Dardailler:(my question is unrelated to the auctions)
  Ching Chiao:hi i m back
  hadia Elminiawi:@Marc I believe both mission & core values
  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 Alan. shall be the focus
  Julf Helsingius:Unfortunately some of us can't be in Copenhagen for the extra day :(
  Sylvia:Sam, what is left on the slides?
  Jonathan Robinson:@Julf. There is no exclusion. We will have full participation on Adobe. It is not classified as a Face to face meeting of the WG. It simply takes place conincident with the Copenhagen ICANN meeting.
  Manal Ismail:yes, pls appreciate sharing the slides ..
  Dietmar Stefitz:I think we will need some more time in Copenhaguen
  Vanda Scartezini:thank you Samantha. wonderful!
  Manal Ismail:Thanks Sam very helpful nd informative ..
  elliot noss:thanks sam
  Samantha Eisner:Dropping off now - talk to you in Copenhagen
  Xavier Calvez:Everyone: I am staying on the call if there is any other question for me or that I can convey to Sam.
  Marika Konings:@Julf - in addition to what Jonathan said, note that this meeting is scheduled to take place on Wednesday during the meeting.
  Sylvia:Thanks Xavier!
  Julf Helsingius:@Marika - great, I thoutgh it would be on Saturday
  Marika Konings:The chat transcript is kept and archived on the wiki space
  Dietmar Stefitz:Thanks Samantha
  Manal Ismail:Thanks Xavier ..
  Sylvia:+1 Erika
  Vanda Scartezini:good idea Erika
  Dietmar Stefitz:+1 Erika
  Manal Ismail:+1 Erika ..
  Nadira ALARAJ:+1 Erika
  Alice Munyua:Thank you Sam
  Marc Gauw:Looks very nice Marika !
  Asha Hemrajani:Question for Marika: I may have missed this, but has there been a summary done for all the DoIs that have been collected so far
  Sylvia:DoI are publicly available, so I do not see the point of doing a summary. Why will a summary be needed?
  Sylvia:unless I am missing something
  Asha Hemrajani:A summary of who will be applying for the funds
  Asha Hemrajani:Might be easier if we would know who is planning to do so.
  hadia Elminiawi:@Aisha and why is this summary important?
  Asha Hemrajani:Exactly Alan
  Asha Hemrajani:+1 Alan
  Marika Konings:@Alan - how would you prefer us to do that? A separate list? Or marking them on the membership page?
  Asha Hemrajani:Thanks Alan.
  hadia Elminiawi:@asha & alan, I can not hear the voice  i just read
  Sylvia:I do not think that is necessary. As this group is not doing decisions around funding allocations, having the DoI is enough.
  Asha Hemrajani:YEs it would need to be updated, but it should be easily viewable.  A simple table would be sufficient.  Just a simple list would do
  Asha Hemrajani:@sylvia, this is not extra information, just an extract of what is already available.
  Asha Hemrajani:Yes good idea Alan
  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 Alan
  Mathieu Weill:Is there really this question and only this question to be flagged ?
  Jennifer Chung:+1 Alan and this would be an easy update should DOI and intentions change
  Asha Hemrajani:@Mathieu good point, but this is something that would be critical
  Mathieu Weill:It may be quite a workload for staff, should we not ensure we clarify the request first ?
  Mathieu Weill:Can do on the list
  Sylvia:Why critical Asha?
  Sylvia:This group will not be making final fund allocations
  Asha Hemrajani:This is something the CCWG should be aware of.
  hadia Elminiawi:@Aisha I don't get the impoetance of the matter
  elliot noss:+1 in terms of wanting to know
  Vanda Scartezini:yes Asha, as in any conflict of interest it must be stated
  Mathieu Weill:Yes, but we should not single out categories of participants without appropriate care and thoughts
  Sylvia:I agree on wanting to know, but want to understand why Asha considers this critical.
  Mathieu Weill:I'm concerned we would only point certain categories of conflict
  Sylvia:+1 Matthieu
  elliot noss:@mathieu not sure I understand
  elliot noss:what additional categories?
  Vanda Scartezini:we are here in some way on behalf of a ICANn group and the goup shall have future interest in participate on the dispute for those funds
  Asha Hemrajani:@sylvia this is the whole purpose of having everyone fill in the DoI in the first place.  All I am suggesting is an easy way to see the individual responses at one go.
  Mathieu Weill:@Elliott : could be other questions that flag potential conflicts. I only want to review the whole DoI doc before we task staff to do a full review
  Sylvia:To check yes, but as the taskl of the group is not to allocatre the funds or made final decision, I really want to understand what it criticsl about it.
  Dietmar Stefitz:Sorry, what means gating question ?
  hadia Elminiawi:@Aisha I believe the main point is transparency
  elliot noss:@mathieu still not sure I understand what they may be, but I cannot disagree with what you wrote
  elliot noss:@vanda my mandate is not in any way connected with my SO
  Asha Hemrajani:@Hadia yes the whole point of the DoI is transparency - this is about an easy way to see everyone's response.  I support Alan's suggestion of an asterisk.
  Vanda Scartezini:information may be  not related to  member itself but the organization inside ICANn, as ccNSO, ALAC, GNSO etc
  elliot noss:if anyones is, that should be transparent
  Erika Mann:Agree with Alan. We shouldn't rush it.
  Sylvia:We are not there yet, Alan.
  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 Alan
  Mathieu Weill:And our group's mandate does not include allocation of funds to anyone in particular
  Erika Mann:Exactly Matthieu
  Vanda Scartezini:matthieu, yes, but maybe discuss the opportunity in the future
  Asha Hemrajani:Happy to discuss this at the next meeting as Ching suggested.  The idea is not to ask for extra information.
  Mathieu Weill:I'm confident we'll find a way, we're in line in principle, let's just take the time to design the flagging and it will be a useful exercice
  Sylvia:Thanks Ching.
  elliot noss:thanks all
  Erika Mann:Thanks!
  Vanda Scartezini:good meeting! see you all in Copenhagen.
  Dietmar Stefitz:Thanks all, See you in Copenhaguen
  Asha Hemrajani:Thanks all
  Vanda Scartezini:safe trip to all
  Jennifer Chung:thanks all and safe travels
  Sylvia:Thanks all
  Manal Ismail:Thanks Ching, Marika and everyone ..
  Marc Gauw:thank you all, and see you at Icann58 !
  Julf Helsingius:Thanks! See you in Copenhagen!
  Wale Bakare:Thanks, bye all
  hadia Elminiawi:thanks all, see you soon
  Nadira ALARAJ:Thank you Ching and all
  Carolina Caeiro:Thanks everyone!
  Manal Ismail:Bye ..
  judith hellerstein:Bye all