[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Wrt (not) lobbying

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Fri Mar 24 10:42:29 UTC 2017

Daniel, All,

Reviewing the slides provided by ICANN Legal
(https://community.icann.org/display/CWGONGAP/Legal+and+Fiduciary+Constrai
nts+Related+Materials?preview=/64073737/64073741/DT%20for%20Auction%20Proc
eeds%20-%20CCWG%20Legal%20Presentation.pdf ) on slide 13, it seems that
the statement that "lobbying is a forbidden activity for ICANN" is not
entirely accurate.

The slide recognizes that ICANN engages in some lobbying activities (more
about it is disclosed here :
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/lobbying-disclosures-contributions-2
015-11-18-en) and mentions a requirement from our CCWG Charter against
providing funds in support of attemps to influence legislation.

The relevant section of our Charter is quoted below, from the "scope"
section (https://community.icann.org/display/CWGONGAP/CCWG+Charter) :

"To align with requirements imposed to maintain ICANN’s U.S. tax exempt
status, the CCWG must include a limitation that funds must not be used to
support political activity/intervening in a political campaing public
office[2] or attempts to influence legislation[3]. The definitions of the
limitations that are imposed to meet U.S. tax requirements must be applied
across all applicants, and not only those from or intending to use the
funds within the U.S. These requirements will apply to comparable
activities across any location where applicants are located or intend to
use the funds."

So my interpretation would be that organizations who engage in lobbying
activities (such as the examples given by Daniel) would not be ruled out
as a matter of principle, but should commit and ensure that any funds they
would receive from the ICANN Auction Proceeds would not be used in
lobbying or political funding activities.

Would that be correct ?

Best,
Mathieu