[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Board reply and CoI

Daniel Dardailler danield at w3.org
Mon May 8 14:30:06 UTC 2017

Hello all

In thinking more about the CoI issue wrt the board requirement of
separation between the "strategists" (this group), the "funders" (the
group that will evaluate proposals and give funds), and the "fundees"
(the group receiving funds), it appears that the rationales we've used
in the Board reply:

".. the CCWG is currently operating on the basis that as long as CCWG
members / participants declare their intention to (potentially) apply
for the new gTLD Auction Proceeds once the proposed mechanism has been
approved by the ICANN Board, this provides for sufficient transparency
and accountability in this stage of the process, as the decisions for
final funding allocation will not be taking by this CCWG but by the
mechanism defined."

don't really point to an important reason for the CCWG participants to
be free of CoI issue at that level: the funding system being designed by
the CCWG is not going to get approved by the CCWG itself but by the
Board, the CCWG being only an advisory body sending recommendations, and
the board holding the final approval.

Is this something we've talked about before and didn't mention in the
reply on purpose ?

(sorry to come up late in the board reply agenda with that comment, but
we can probably keep it as one more rationale on our side, in the CoI
question bucket)