[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat from CCWG Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Thu Nov 16 18:31:34 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email, and the AC Chat, MP3 and Adobe Connect recording below for the CCWG Auction Proceeds call held on Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

Mp3:  https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ccwg-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-16nov17-en.mp3

AC Recording:    https://participate.icann.org/p5ovu4nox5n/<https://participate.icann.org/p5ovu4nox5n/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=b83580a7b7df5931a279bee3c14d1325cad0ee2641979a74acec91d006ed0abb>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=uidTA5V7RlRhqXBxGhLbVHOzk2lvDzLHK99nhjsKzW0&s=G7owpjQHHbzd9bFlrfdYX7Lik6lU9W8BeG1n7HUqLpI&e=>

Wiki agenda page:   https://community.icann.org/x/eQJyB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julie

---------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 16 November 2017

  Julie Bisland:Welcome to the CCWG New gTLD Auction Proceeds call on Thursday 16 November 2017 at 14:00 UTC

  Julie Bisland:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_eQJyB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_Kh2eTzrlBmF6l_4IxnU1z2GR5JQUxjq18a_b_G2W38&s=eHY3Ajuk9JFle7sIZqszcI-nVXP9U-CHP7kUGG89rD4&e=

  Julie Bisland:Hello Kavouss! Will you be needing a dial out today?

  Erika Mann:Can we check the mike Julie?

  Sylvia Cadena:I can hear you typing Erika, so your mike should be fine ;)

  Erika Mann:Sylvia - hi ... your're great!

  Julie Bisland:@Erika: lets do another sound check , please

  Erika Mann:Okay, ready!

  Kavouss Arasteh 3:Dear All,

  Kavouss Arasteh 3:I will quit at 15,00 UTC

  Joke Braeken:thanks for letting us know Kavouss

  Jonathan Robinson:I am in an airport lounge so am likely to keep audio comments to a minimum

  Sylvia Cadena:No updates from me.

  Nadira AL-Araj:Hi Kavouss, you have 3 sessions connected to the room, That might cause some problems at your end.

  Julf Helsingius:My SOI has of course changed as a result of my new position in the GNSO council, but it doesn't change my conflict of issue situation

  Ching Chiao:Thanks for let us know, Julf

  Alan Greenberg:URL for the doc?

  Marilyn Cade:I am not in support of creating products, as that is not within ICANN's core mission.

  Joke Braeken:hi Alan, the document was previously circulated by Marika

  Sylvia Cadena:Can staffmove the screen to example 12? the scroll does not let me do it

  Alan Greenberg:SCrolling rights please

  Joke Braeken:the document is now scrollable

  Marilyn Cade:I do not think that we should be promoting gTLDs.

  Marilyn Cade:We should focus on the core mission.

  Vanda Scartezini:I was at phone tilla dobe allowed me to connect. sorry

  Sylvia Cadena:I do not agree to support example 12

  Erika Mann:Marilynn!

  Erika Mann:Marilyn, I come back to you in a second.

  Marilyn Cade:I hope I will now be able to speak.

  judith hellerstein:I agree with Alan on this issue

  judith hellerstein:on number 8

  Maureen Hilyard:+1 Alan re 8 and 12

  Julf Helsingius:I agree with the out of scope / marketing comments

  judith hellerstein:I also agree with Alan on 12 and do not support either of them

  Julf Helsingius:I don't agree with excluding something just because of business / financial risk

  Marilyn Cade:We are not about creating new business creation.  The ccNSO might want to think that also promoting their visibiity is important.

  enoss:[sorry for being late] +1 re: 12; with 8, if it is work being done by a respected non-profit org

  Jon Nevett:whether it is worthwhile, is irrelevant -- the isssue is whether it is within the mission related to the DNS.  8 is out, but an education campaign maybe contemplated in 12 should be ok

  Alan Greenberg:@Julf, I added that as an aside. I di not think 8 is anywhere near our mission.

  Julf Helsingius:Alan: I agree

  Ching Chiao:<question> For "8", can we say that the CCWG will not support any commercial businesses / activities i.e. fund goes only to non-for-profit use

  enoss:are we discussing only these two right now or others as well?

  judith hellerstein:I think just these 2 right now

  Julf Helsingius:isn't promoting domains and names "supporting commercial businesses / activities"?

  Ching Chiao:Hi Elliott, just 8 and 12 for now

  Sylvia Cadena:I think we are discussing the ones that got comments on the file about "not being supported" and the others were considered consistent

  judith hellerstein:I have a question on 15 but will wait until we get there

  Jon Nevett:"grants to support new gTLD applications" is contained in the Applicant Guidebook as a potential use of auction proceeds -- again let's not look at the specific merits of an example, but whether the categorsy might be ok

  Julie Bisland:please mute your line when not speaking

  enoss:@ching +1

  Jon Nevett:For the record, I don't agree Erika

  Vanda Scartezini:in other words may be...

  Julf Helsingius:No, I was just agreeing

  Marilyn Cade:We are not agreeing. we can park for later discussion.  I do not support doing marketing for gTLDs.

  Vanda Scartezini:Jon  I beleive this campaign shall be supprot by ICANN itself

  enoss:but then so are a near unlimited number of things

  enoss:I think it is implied that this list has some relationship to the type/category of projects we view as appropriate

  Erika Mann:Julf - can you hear us?

  Julf Helsingius:I was simply agreeing

  Hadia Elminiawi:hello all, sorry for joining late

  Sylvia Cadena:I am ok with not support example 8 in particular, but I do not agree with the idea to exclude projects that have a sustainability plan which might imply commercial use.

  enoss:both sylvia and I had a qualifier to 8

  enoss:that made it ok I thought

  Jon Nevett:The example is awareness not marketing -- or let's change the example to make it clear

  Nadira AL-Araj:In fact, I suggested to keep those suggested project examples and list them in a new category as an example how they don't match ICANN mission.

  judith hellerstein:Hi Jon, Awareness is a  better term than marketing

  Maureen Hilyard:I agree with Marilyn about the marketing intent within #12 being unacceptable

  Alan Greenberg:I had a strong objection to 8 and I thought I heard the same from others.

  judith hellerstein:I am against marketing but if they are going to revise the question to frame it as an awareness I am willing to take another look at it

  Joke Braeken:As a reminder, it is not the objective to cover every possible project that could be considered consistent with ICANN's mission. The focus is on ensuring that examples are sufficiently clear to provide guidance on what types of projects are considered consistent with ICANN's mission and which ones are not considered consistent.

  Vanda Scartezini:Judith Yes. that is my point. have general awereness is quite important for developing regions, but promoting new rounds for instance is for ICANN directly to support not this auction

  Joke Braeken:As a reminder, it is not the objective to cover every possible project that could be considered consistent with ICANN's mission. The focus is on ensuring that examples are sufficiently clear to provide guidance on what types of projects are considered consistent with ICANN's mission and which ones are not considered consistent.

  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 Joke. I have sent an email regarding this point..

  Marilyn Cade:No, I need to speak on this.

  Marilyn Cade:on point 22.

  enoss:I agree

  judith hellerstein:I agree with you on example 22

  Erika Mann:Marilyn

  Sylvia Cadena:I agree with Erika. I do not think the reserve replenishment should be listed as an example

  Maureen Hilyard:Yes we hear you Marilyn

  Sylvia Cadena:Yes, but it will not be a project that the community will submit. It will a board request, so it should not be on this list

  Sylvia Cadena:Exactly. It is not a project.

  judith hellerstein:I am against double dipping

  judith hellerstein:I agree it is not a project

  Marilyn Cade:I can not agree, the community could strongly support this.

  Sylvia Cadena:A project will have a beginning and an end. A project will require ICANN to report back how it has manage its funds

  Marilyn Cade:can someone describe what double dipping is? I have a long history of legal engagement, so perhaps someone can describe their view of double dipping, from a  legal perspective?

  Maureen Hilyard:We are keeping this list specifically to projects, so #22 can be deleted from the list although not totally from our other discussions

  Vanda Scartezini:agree with Erika. we need the demand first

  Sylvia Cadena:Exactly Maureen. That is the idea.

  Jon Nevett:I agree that we delete 22 as an example, but not delete the concept

  Marilyn Cade:perhaps Ellot can contact me off line?

  Joke Braeken:Here is the link to the public comment period regarding the reserved fund: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_news_announcement-2D3-2D2017-2D10-2D12-2Den&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_Kh2eTzrlBmF6l_4IxnU1z2GR5JQUxjq18a_b_G2W38&s=hcVJcI818jsu8dB8zdJMLXrS8urar5ayNauX0PntZ6M&e=

  Julie Bisland:Kavouss, your audio is muffled

  Vanda Scartezini:thanks Joke

  Joke Braeken:Kavouss, we cannot hear you

Erika Mann:Marilyn - I will let Elliot know

  Elliot Noss:still in adobe

  Elliot Noss:yes thanks

  Kavouss Arasteh 3:Delete it from the list but maintain the objective

  Marilyn Cade:I am available at marilynscade at hotmail.com<mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com> or 1 202 360 1196.

  Joke Braeken:will do so Erika

  judith hellerstein:So are we discussing 20?

  judith hellerstein:I have a question on 15

  Kavouss Arasteh 3:I am sure if we need to retain 15

  Elliot Noss:[staff please note, I am trying to switch to phone and have been on hold (a second try) for a while (> 5 min now)]

  Julie Bisland:I'll alert the operator

  Kavouss Arasteh 3:I am NOT sure why 15 should be maintained

  Marilyn Cade:I so nor auppoer 21. and 20 needs further clarification. Right now, I do not support. 19 needs more clarification but seems promisioning.

  Elliot Noss:on now

  Elliot Noss:(phone only for me)

  Julie Bisland:great, thanks Elliot, sorry for your hold time

  Sylvia Cadena:It is qualified where it says "areas of common interest" anyway. It will not be WC3 in full

  Joke Braeken:Link to the google document: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1zQ66hCxrboAJPKeuU6nHwzHQwmU6g-5F3kS0JUSSC-5FtSk_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_Kh2eTzrlBmF6l_4IxnU1z2GR5JQUxjq18a_b_G2W38&s=jnqB79TXY1Y71GeE7ZJf1QJ8EB6lmCo9Qnn7Ae1_EBM&e=

  Hadia Elminiawi:Sorry back again

  Jonathan Robinson:I am not expecting to discuss the document

  Sylvia Cadena:We can all add our comments to the document as suggestions and continue to structure our comments. There were a few instructions between the 2 tables (page 3) with the 3 numbers that we needed to provide forqualify each example. It is a good exercise to analyze the examples with those 3 numbers.

  Jonathan Robinson:I am on the hook to give it a final proof-read / edit

  Sylvia Cadena:scrolling rights please

  Joke Braeken:the document is now scrollable.

  Sylvia Cadena:thanks

  Jonathan Robinson:No thnak you

  judith hellerstein:OK I made changes to the Google Doc for #15

  Erika Mann:Thank you Judith!

  Jonathan Robinson:Good point Marilyn. Overarching guidance not strict guidelines

  Sylvia Cadena:Just for the sake of language use, I will say that the application will certainly include the project proposal, which is quite different from the actual project itself. Most times there are differences from proposal to implementation.

  Nadira AL-Araj:+1 Marilyn, yes, the guidance are just to provide the concept  to be considered.

  Sylvia Cadena:Agree with Alan.

  Jonathan Robinson:Yes, but we do not want to water it down so much as to be pointless.

  Marilyn Cade:maybe ideas and suggestions to guide... ?

  judith hellerstein:I have also add comments to 19 and 20 on the google doc

  Marilyn Cade:Yes, to Jonathan.

  Jonathan Robinson:This has been crafted to provide and overarching guidance for the selection of projects

  Sylvia Cadena:Thanks to the group that worked on this.

  Marilyn Cade:With apologies. I will need to abandon you, for another call that starts at 10 a.m. My deep apologies. but I think tht we are making good progress!!!!

  Julie Bisland:Thank you, Marilyn

  Mary Uduma:+1

  Erika Mann:Thank you Joke

  Sylvia Cadena:No sound

  Vanda Scartezini:not hearing Mary

  Erika Mann:Mary!

  Mary Uduma:It seems you cannot hear me

  Julie Bisland:Mary, we aren't able to hear you, please let me know if you'd like a dialout

  judith hellerstein:yes mary we cannot hear you

  Vanda Scartezini:no

  Sylvia Cadena:Not me

  Mary Uduma:I post my idea then

  Nadira AL-Araj:No we don't hear Mary

  Mary Uduma:Yes I will post

  Joke Braeken:thanks for putting your question in the chat Mary. could you please lower your hand?

  Maureen Hilyard:Sorry my Adobe Connect crashed for a while so this is a bit late- but from my take of what Hadia said it was not so much about our intent to provide guidance or guidelines but focusing the purpose of this group on the allocation of funds (rather than on applications)Sorry my Adobe Connect crashed for a while so this is a bit late- but from my take of what Hadia said it was not so much about our intent to provide guidance or guidelines but focusing the purpose of this group on the allocation of funds (rather than on applications)

  Maureen Hilyard:my AC is really playing up at the moment, sorry

  Mary Uduma:I just wanted to support the context with which the paragraph we were debating on. since the Chair gave a good summary. I will comment on the Google doc when recirculated.

  judith hellerstein:@maureen, please file this issue on the TTF Adome connect page, https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_atlarge_At-2DLarge-2BTechnology-2BIssues-23At-2DLargeTechnologyIssues-2DAdobeConnectIssues&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_Kh2eTzrlBmF6l_4IxnU1z2GR5JQUxjq18a_b_G2W38&s=XpL_t5v5htkeXMwEkxZlPKsIsHIDt7GASDtVL0ukaO4&e=

  Joke Braeken:the google document can be found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1lilXNBowHooDiR1AyxF9ckA8ZRO1Gphx9rQLBZcXgMo_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_Kh2eTzrlBmF6l_4IxnU1z2GR5JQUxjq18a_b_G2W38&s=wp6g2rpZxZrCDDFwgFX5ReKSc6dffCFzgGdYn0VhxEA&e=

  judith hellerstein:We are working on having a separate form created for people to file their issues

  Jonathan Robinson:Apologies. I have to leave now.

  judith hellerstein:bye Jonathan

  Marilyn Cade:I must drop off, but I do only support an external mechanism, as otherwise we will have a very conflictual situation within ICANN. I was not able to meet during the first session, so  my views are not included. We have to be careful tthat wee even have full engagement from the designated members and participants. I have not been able to fully contribute. apologies to drop off but we can't do this, Erika, unless we have a dedicated call on this.

  Marilyn Cade:I ask that we postpone this untile we have a call that is very focused just on this topic.

  Marilyn Cade:I have to drop off now, as does also Jonathan.

  Marilyn Cade:I will do online comments.

  Erika Mann:Understood Marilyn! Thank you!

  Sylvia Cadena:Many of external experts might request an NDA. They might mot discuss operational procedures with such a large group.

  Vanda Scartezini:@sylvia. agree  experts need to have no conflict

  enoss:[back in adobe]

  Joke Braeken:absolutely, will do so. I will clean up the live notes after the call

  judith hellerstein:Seems like a good idea

  Sylvia Cadena:Agree.

  Sylvia Cadena:Not screaming ;)

  Mary Uduma:No screaming:

  Joke Braeken:it is scrollable

  Sylvia Cadena:pge 4

  Sylvia Cadena:page 4

  Joke Braeken:will do so.

  Joke Braeken:the expertise-related information on the Wiki : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_CWGONGAP_CCWG-2BExpertise&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_Kh2eTzrlBmF6l_4IxnU1z2GR5JQUxjq18a_b_G2W38&s=-xMqP7Btnv_MDn_jhB7FDfNCJylcZTkGvLWLyeL0ahQ&e=

  enoss:no comment. that would be a fine accomplishment

  Maureen Hilyard:No just agreeing

  judith hellerstein:yes that is a good idea

  Sylvia Cadena:It will be great to be able to get this done ahead of ICANN 61. Just not sure if Christmas period will allow for weekly calls

  judith hellerstein:@sylvia, calls are bi-weekly

  judith hellerstein:twice a month

  Nadira AL-Araj:Thank you

  judith hellerstein:bye all

  enoss:bye all and thanks

  Erika Mann:Thanks everyone

  Sylvia Cadena:There was a suggestion of weekly calls with the experts

  Maarten Botterman:thanks!

  Julf Helsingius:Thanks!

  Joke Braeken:thank you all, goodbye

  Maureen Hilyard:thank you everyone