[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Proposed Agenda - CCWG Auction Proceeds Meeting on 19 October at 14.00 UTC

Daniel Dardailler danield at w3.org
Thu Oct 19 12:41:23 UTC 2017

Hello all

(I'll most probably be late on the phone today, I have long standing
medical appointment I can't miss 20min before our call starts).

Regarding the draft conclusions, I agree with most of them, but I'm not
sure what "directly related to the ICANN mission" really means at this
point, since the document also uses "in service of", or "consistent
with" as a constraint elsewhere. Is there a sense of priority or
distance to ICANN implied between all those terms ?

In the case of Open Internet standards, what are the criteria for being
"directly related" to the mission ? For instance, would the development
of a new http protocol considered in scope based on this criteria ? What
about the URL specification, or HTML ? This applies to IETF as well as
W3C.

My preference goes for saying that Open Internet Standards, whether they
are from IETF or W3C, or any other compliant Internet SDO (i.e. that
follows the operating principles are interoperability, openness,
decentralization, and scalability), are consistent as long as they are
done in service of the ICANN mission, which is to say that their
successes (as standard: pervasive deployment, adoption, interoperability
achieved), will directly benefit the ICANN community (e.g. by growing IP
and DNS numberp in the future, as they've done in the past).

I think that this sort of criteria: will the success of the project
benefit ICANN in the end, is better described by "in service of" rather
than by "related to", which could end up supporting competing IP or DNS
sub-systems (e.g. DOI, which is clearly "related to" ICANN, but
certainly not "in service of" it).