[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] For your review - updated version open internet definition / description

Daniel Dardailler danield at w3.org
Sat Sep 2 16:39:40 UTC 2017

Hello Marika, all

Reading this document, I think I agree with Erika that we should
consider giving our collective view of what we, the CCWG, think
constitutes the Open Internet, and put it in a preamble to a section
introducing a more detailed and ICANN mission specific set of things
that adhere to the principles introduced in the preamble.

The document as it stands contains both kind of definition/description
so it's difficult to agree with it as a whole, i.e. to summarize it in
one piece.

I also think ISOC paper on exactly this topic,
https://www.internetsociety.org/doc/open-internet-what-it-and-how-avoid-mistaking-it-something-else-september

provides the right axis for defining our principles: technology,
economy, politics, society.

One thing this paper also does is recognizing that what the technology
"can" do is different from what the user "may" do. The use of
"accessible to all people for all purposes" in the document seems to
ignore this fact.