[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Fwd: Board reply to CCWG-AP

Daniel Dardailler danield at w3.org
Mon Sep 4 16:23:13 UTC 2017

Thanks Erika.

To me, the important bit is this one:
  ".. If the CCWG is dissatisfied with the restrictions that the
enumerated mission statement places on the outcomes of the CCWG’s work,
that is a fundamental question for the ICANN community to resolve, as
the ICANN Board is holding the organization to the mission that the
ICANN community developed through the Enhancing ICANN Accountability
process"

I think our current discussions on Open Internet description shows a
consensus in our group wrt to the mission enumerated statement being too
limited (i.e. only DNS, IP, protocols) for the scope we foresee.

If we can get consensus on this point, then we can start making a case
in front of the ICANN community that the auction funds are special for
various reasons:

   - they are supposed to be used outside of the ICANN regular
operational budget, but are legally restricted to be spent only on these
operational items (mission listing). That's a paradox in itself.
   - they are supposed to be used for the good of the Internet (which we
are turning into "in support of the Open Internet"), which is a concept
not limited to the ICANN mission
   - they are a one time event and extending the scope of their granting
beyond the ICANN limited mission will not endanger the ICANN mission and
role itself.
   - ICANN doesn't live in a vacuum and there is value to ICANN (and its
mission) to do a scope extension for these funds
   - ICANN's first commitment, in the By-Laws: "Preserve and enhance the
administration of the DNS and the operational stability, reliability,
security, global interoperability, resilience, and openness of the DNS
and the Internet"
    covers our vision of scope extension pretty well since it can be read
as "Preserve and enhance .. the operational stability, reliability,
security, global interoperability, resilience, and openness of ... the
Internet".