[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] lotsa money, was Fwd: Board reply to CCWG-AP

Daniel Dardailler danield at w3.org
Tue Sep 5 12:50:36 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-05 12:31, James Gannon wrote:
> This text was formulated prior to the mission revision.

Another reason to treat the auction funds as exceptional IMO and ask the
community/board to allow for its scope to be extended a bit, to include
what's in the first commitment (preserve and enhance the operational
stability, reliability, security, global interoperability, resilience,
and openness of the Internet).

> But my 2c is this text is clearly bounded by ICANN mission as it's an
> ICANN text, ICANN cannot go outside of its mission by legal
> definition.
> So any interpretation of the below needs to be within ICANN current
> mission.

But since this would make most of the examples given in the original
"contract" invalid, couldn't it be legally challenged by those who have
signed/agreed to the text in the first place ?