[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] to all celebrating HOSH HASHANAH...

Vanda Scartezini vanda at scartezini.org
Tue Sep 19 15:56:01 UTC 2017

 L’Shanah Tovah

 Lots of joy in this new year to you and whole family!
Kisses

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004
01311-200- Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Land Line: +55 11 3266.6253
Mobile: + 55 11 98181.1464
Sorry for any typos.

From: <ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org>> on behalf of Julie Bisland <julie.bisland at icann.org<mailto:julie.bisland at icann.org>>
Date: Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 15:29
To: "ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org>" <ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org>>
Cc: "gnso-secs at icann.org<mailto:gnso-secs at icann.org>" <gnso-secs at icann.org<mailto:gnso-secs at icann.org>>
Subject: [Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from CCWG Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 7 September 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Dear all,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email, and the AC Chat, MP3 and Adobe Connect recordings below for the CCWG Auction Proceeds call held on Thursday, 7 September 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

Mp3:http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-07sep17-en.mp3

AC Recording:   https://participate.icann.org/p4gkpt3chsr/<https://participate.icann.org/p4gkpt3chsr/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=f0f4dcd59786ab91f6008d03e03bc2edb0041973f05ef183d70cdae027853382>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=uidTA5V7RlRhqXBxGhLbVHOzk2lvDzLHK99nhjsKzW0&s=G7owpjQHHbzd9bFlrfdYX7Lik6lU9W8BeG1n7HUqLpI&e=>

Wiki agenda page:  https://community.icann.org/x/aWzwAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julie

———————————————

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 7 September 2017

  Julie Bisland:Welcome to the CCWG New gTLD Auction Proceeds call on Thursday 07 September 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

  Julie Bisland:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_aWzwAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=WD3ZztuaGe1obm4RkhKqBq9OF1eCw5hZ3pJCS4omsGs&s=yUpwMWBaABlMn7jHrUCw_X6YH6ShFCu7ZiSYgG-sIhs&e=

  Erika Mann:Hi everyone

  Sylvia Cadena:Hi everyone :)

  Marc Gauw:Hello from Amsterdam...

  Manal Ismail:Hello everyone ..

  Dietmar Stefitz:Hello from Valencia-Spain to all of you

  Wale Bakare:Hello everyone, good morning/afternoon/evening

  Alberto Soto:Hello from Buenos Aires

  Hadia Elminiawi:Hello from Cairo

  Ching Chiao:+1 Erika / Tony

  Peter Vergote (ccNSO):Hi all, sorry for being late. Login issues, seems there is an update of Adobe connect software...

  Sylvia Cadena:Agree with Alan. This makes a lot more sense.

  Manal Ismail:+1 Alan ..

  Sylvia Cadena:Also agree on merging # 3 with #1

  Marc Gauw:+1

  Ching Chiao:support

  Nadira AL-Araj:+1 to Alan

  Marika Konings:The first bullet would read in that case: "Benefit the development, distribution, evolution and structures that support the Internet's unique identifier systems"

  Maureen Hilyard:It does seem a little repetitive..

  Hadia Elminiawi:+ Alan

  Manal Ismail:+1 Marika

  Wale Bakare:I seem not have full grasp of what Alan said, sorry

  Sylvia Cadena:Something like this Alan? "Benefit the development, distribution and evolution of the Internet's unique identifier systems, through structures or projects"

  Sylvia Cadena:Marika could you type yours?

  Marika Konings:Benefit the development, distribution, evolution and structures that support the Internet's unique identifier systems

  Tony Harris 2:marikas version sounds good

  Sylvia Cadena:I like the one that Marika just phrased.

  Stephanie Perrin:I think Marika's formulation works well.

  Maureen Hilyard:Do we mention the projects, because they are important too

  Alan Greenberg:Benefit the development, distribution, evolution and support structures/projects of the Internet's unique identifier systems

  Sylvia Cadena:Thanks Marika

  Sylvia Cadena:Thanks Alan

  Maureen Hilyard:Thank you Erika

  Marika Konings:you should be able to scroll up and down

  Marc Gauw:Great 1-pager, compliments, thanks !...    (although I would have preferred to have the word 'secure' written in BOLD... )

  Sylvia Cadena:Thanks Erika. Good to see progress for the preamble. I agree with most of it. I think the last paragrapgh needs a bit of work, but I like what you have done with our contributions.

  Marilyn Cade:I have a point to make about the use of the term of Open Internet. I think it is too identified with Net Neutrality. How about Open and Interoperable Internet? or even 'open interoperable Interent"

  Marika Konings:we will make the google doc link available after the call so you can all add your comments/edits

  Sylvia Cadena:+1 Alan :)

  Marilyn Cade:Just to clarify that I did not object to IXPs, but to funding large infrastructure projects like under sea cables. :-)

  Tony Harris 2:Good point, Alan

  Asha Hemrajani:Hello everyone, sorry to be late.  Had a small crisis to deal with and then challenges with Adobe.

  judith hellerstein:@erika, can you also add some wording that stresses the need for open standards so that the internet remains accessible to all.  I am talking specifically to the disability and specific needs community

  Asha Hemrajani:Please could I get a dialout

  Marika Konings:@Ashi - Julie will work with you on a dial-out. If you can send her a private message with your phone number?

  Marilyn Cade:While I respect that this group is focused on gTLDs, we should all recognize that the ccTLDs are very important contributors to increasing access. Perraps this could become a neutral statement about the importance of an online presence and providing information about all kinds of T LDs

  Maureen Hilyard:I agree Marilyn. cctlds in developing and underserved countries also need development support. The statement needs to be inclusive of all tlds.

  Nadira AL-Araj: Those examples, could be could be included in most frequently asked questions.

  Hadia Elminiawi:however we do need to be in a way or another specific being too broad does not help the evaluators either

  Maureen Hilyard:Any funds should benefit the full ICANN community.  It is very important to the stability of the Internet, as the ccTLDs build infrastructure at the national level

  Sylvia Cadena:Yes, that is why I am saying not to include the examples on a preamble. The preamble helps with a framework. But having the examples listed together so none of us missed the importance of the examples already provided on previous surveys

  Samantha Eisner:@Erika, yes.  We haven't discussed internally, but I can give some of my impressions on it

  Erika Mann:Thanj you Sam!

  Nadira AL-Araj:It is also possible to attach an elaboration document on the "philosophical" point of view of the CCWG-AP point of view to the open Internet

  Daniel Dardailler:+1 on using "network of networks"

  judith hellerstein:+interoperable and standards based. as this works to ensure accessibility for people with disabilities

  Daniel Dardailler:no strong opinion on Open vs open and interoperability Internet

  Daniel Dardailler:s/interoperabilty/interoperable

  Maureen Hilyard:Thank you Marilyn

  Marc Gauw:Do we agree ?

  Arsene Tungali:I would love to read Marilyn's comment in a document. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

  judith hellerstein:do we have a link to the google doc?

  Daniel Dardailler:I agree that our descrition removes all ambiguity wrt NN

  Nadira AL-Araj:@Judith after the meeting we will have the link

  Joke Braeken:correct Nadira. Following the call, we will make the google doc link available to allow for further edits / comments.

  Marilyn Cade:Why would this group want to change the definition of network of networks? Are we "newbies"? That is sort of a joke.

  Erika Mann:Judith - yes, Marika send it but we can send it again

  judith hellerstein:thanks all

  Marilyn Cade:Thanks.

  Daniel Dardailler:FYI, the Internet technical reaction to DOI is: why is this needed since we have URLs ? so I doubt ICANN should fund it..

  Wale Bakare:Internet itself is a network of international networks, but as Open Internet is about inter-operability and standard of internet.

  Sylvia Cadena:Just add what you think it is missing when the google doc is shared

  Sylvia Cadena:sound is breaking up :(

  Nadira AL-Araj:Hi Asha

  Wale Bakare:There are components of the standards which would include tranport and application layers protocols

  Marc Gauw:@Samantha: If the auction-funds are awarded in one-time portion(s), and awards may face the risk to be perceived to have a 'wider scope' than strictly 'Icanns mission', then in Holland you can ask the tax-authorities for an 'upfront tax-ruling'.... I guess it is the same in the USA.

  Erika Mann:Can't you hear me?

  Maureen Hilyard:No audio from Erika

  Xavier Calvez 2:WE can hear you Sam

  Erika Mann:I hear you Sam

  Sylvia Cadena:I can't hear Erika, I can't hear Erika though

  judith hellerstein:I can hear erika now

  Nadira AL-Araj:Maybe it is not clear that the definition of this term is needed in the context of ICANN

  Marc Gauw:@Samantha, could you answer my question ?

  Marc Gauw:@Samantha: If the auction-funds are awarded in one-time portion(s), and awards may face the risk to be perceived to have a 'wider scope' than strictly 'Icanns mission', then in Holland you can ask the tax-authorities for an 'upfront tax-ruling'.... I guess it is the same in the USA.

  Samantha Eisner:@Marc, there are some proactive processes available through the IRS though they may not be binding opinions.

  Samantha Eisner:HOWEVER

  Julie Bisland:mark, please let me know if you'd like a dialout for audio

  Sylvia Cadena:If the idea is to change open for another term that is inclusive and open -no pun intended- we need some help with the creative terminology. It is quite a challenge to beat what the word open means

  Daniel Dardailler:In case my mike doesn't work: my comment to follow-up on the infrastructure-in-scope question is that the funds shouldn't go to technology that are completely independent of ICANN, such as 5G, wifi, dsl, etc., since this funding could be used against ICANN in the end, to create e.g. another logical addressing system, names and numbers.

  Maureen Hilyard:@Sylvia, perhaps inclusive and accessible?

  Marc Gauw:OK, thanks

  Hadia Elminiawi:We could say "From the aforementioned broad description and for the purpose of the work of this ccWG Open Internet will be defined (or understood) as...."

  Stephanie Perrin:fading out

  Julie Bisland:@Daniel: line is fading in and out.

  judith hellerstein:@maureen. yes I like that term

  Maureen Hilyard:@Judith, if it is deemed not appropriate to use "Open"

  Wale Bakare:It is a bit complicated to strike a balance as majority seems to favour infrastructure-based against the ICANN's mission and core businesses. I can see IXP is a infrastructure.

  Hadia Elminiawi:In this case we shall not be offering a defintion for the open internet but rather saying that this is the definition that we shall be using

  Wale Bakare:IMHO, we should just stick to open internet definition that embodies Application and Transport layers

  Julf Helsingius:Do we really want to go into the layers issue?

  Samantha Eisner:@Sylvia, my comment is not dependent on who manages the distribution of the funds

  Wale Bakare:@Julf, I would think so because of ICANN mission and core businesses

  Samantha Eisner:there is no change in ICANN responsibility to assure adherence to mission regardless of who manages the distribution of the funds

  Julf Helsingius:@Wale either it should be "open Internet", or "numbers and names"

  Wale Bakare:ICANN would not want to fund infrastructure projects

  Julf Helsingius:ICANN could want to fund infrastructure that supprts, let's say, a wider net of root servers

  Wale Bakare:Thanks, @Julf. Please, are there examples of "wider net of root servers"?

  Wale Bakare:I mean different to DNS systems?

  Sylvia Cadena:That will be great to have Samantha. I have not seen that presentation.

  Sylvia Cadena:Your voice was breaking up so I am not sure if I understood correctly.

  Marika Konings:@Sylvia - please also see agenda item 5. This is an open action item.

  Julf Helsingius:@Wale That was just an example I thought of, but there are of course alternatives for DNS being tested

  Sylvia Cadena:Thanks Marika!

  Sylvia Cadena:That is what the preamble said.

  Marilyn Cade:ICANN cannot be funding other DNS systems. That is crazy.  Do we belive in a single interoperable root? Has that changed? I recall when the Alt Root guys showed up at ICANN and we had to really address this idea and we did, as ICANN the community. BUT, we believe in a single interoperable root, not alt roots. Otherwise, ICANN does not exist.

  Wale Bakare:Agreed. I think Security, Stability of DNS-based projects would receive 100% support of ICANN, i think

  Hadia Elminiawi:totally agree Marika , I understand because I was there  from the beginning but the document as it reads  looks as if we want to define the term

  Stephanie Perrin:I agree with what Alan is saying.  People don't look up definitions.

  Asha Hemrajani:yes Wale - those areas would receive strong support

  Maureen Hilyard:+1 Alan

  Sylvia Cadena:Yes Alan, very important.

  Wale Bakare:Thanks, @Asha

  Manal Ismail:Agree Alan .. so probably not a definition of open Internet but rather where open Internet intesrsects with/ relates to ICANN mission ..

  Ching Chiao:sounds good Marika

  Manal Ismail:*examples of where ....

  Arsene Tungali:Good point Erica about examples

  Marc Gauw:Erika, lets archieve your clear clarification of the COI part of the board-letter !  :-)

  Marilyn Cade:I read all the Interest statements of all Board members, as part of the due diligence that I consider important to do as a BC member.  Many Board members have "interests" and I am not sure that I think that all of the Liaisons, or even the Board members are fully recusing themselves on decisions that they already know is a conflict. If you participated in  contributing to auction funds, of if you are a c contracted party that is asking for a refund, then I do think that you have a real conflict of interest.

  Jon Nevett:semi-annual

  Samantha Eisner:@Marilyn, if there are Board level issues you'd like to raise, please contact me and John so we can take a look at those

  Sylvia Cadena:The group is asking for updates of CoI and DoI on every call with the reminder to update it on the wiki.

  Nadira AL-Araj:What about looking again of the requirments of the DOI form and edit it accordingly

  Ching Chiao:Thank you Asha for the clarification

  Xavier Calvez 2:Transparency on discussions help identify conflict of interests. Once a conflict of interest is identified, the CCWG needs to have a mechanism to enable its conclusions and recommendations to be free of the content that resulted from the conflict. Transparency is not sufficient, it only allows to take the next step when it is needed. This is part of the rationale of the recommendation that the Board made to this working group to establish a mechanism to deal with identified conflict of interest.

  Julie Bisland:The next CCWG New gTLD Auction Proceeds call will be held on Thursday, 21 September 2017 at 14:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

  Daniel Dardailler:bye

  Marc Gauw:Thanks, bye bye

  Nadira AL-Araj:Thank you all

  Ching Chiao:Thank you everyone