[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] call tomorrow, Feb 22, few points

Erika Mann erika at erikamann.com
Thu Feb 22 00:45:12 UTC 2018

Dear All -

I will not be able to chair the call tomorrow. my office booked me on a
flight that clashes with our call and unfortunately we can't change this
anymore. The second flight is fully booked and I have no other option.
Apologies for this! I hope that Ching is able to chair the call tomorrow.
He should be back from the Chinese New Year festivals but I have not heard
back from him.

*Few points I like to raise that may help you in guiding our discussions in
a good direction:*

*A) Preamble text: *
I like to recommend to put this topic on hold. I see this as a topic that
can be better discussed at the next CCWG AP implementation phase.

The idea to have a preamble evolved relatively early when we started as a
group thinking about the need to provide future project evaluators with
guidance about how to evaluate projects that do not fall within a narrow
understanding of ICANNs mission but are still supporting ICANNs mission.
For these particular cases we thought that a preamble might help future
evaluators to judge such projects better. The idea of the preamble was not
to broaden the understanding of the scope of ICANNs Mission but to allow
projects that are worthwhile and are supporting ICANN's mission to be
evaluated*.* Without such a provision some of us feared that truly
worthwhile projects could not even be evaluated and potentially supported.

We heard concerns about the current draft preamble text at our meeting in
Abu Dhabi, ICANNs Board is raising concerns as well, therefore I recommend
to put this topic on hold and let it be reviewed during the next
implementation phase of the CCWG AP. Such a preamble is not needed for our
current work but is well needed before the final project phase starts.

*B) Letter to the Board:*
If you agree with Point A) then I recommend we explain this point to the
Board in the letter we will have to send to the Board in the near future.

Concerning their concern in relation to the list of example to test against
ICANN's Mission, I believe, we largely can accept their recommendations -
though I believe a negative list is not going to be helpful and only cost
additional tine and effort.

If you agree then I recommend the leadership will draft a draft reply to
the Board, a reply you will be able to review and to change.

Apologies again and have a good call tomorrow!
Erika