[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Notes and action items

Daniel Dardailler danield at w3.org
Tue Mar 27 17:39:28 UTC 2018

Hello Marika, all

as I mentioned during the meeting in PR, I am of the opinion that we
have heard enough arguments to now select one option, namely number 1,
full in-house ICANN grant department, and revert the logic: try to find
and alleviate the reasons not to do it this way.

I understand that some may think it's too early to come to a conclusion,
and I'm not asking for that, just to change our modus operandi and
target a particular option.

In any case, I came to this conclusion after the recent board report and
here's my rationales:

  - ICANN needs to control closely all spending, before any disbursement,
so at evaluation time if not before (strategic calls) and before final
payment
  - ICANN wants the reach to be global and also wants its global
community to be in the loop at various levels (orientation, selections,
evaluation committees, etc)
  - ICANN wants to minimize the overhead (the granting mgnt overhead plus
the executive/legal/oversight overhead if done outside ICANN) and
already knows how to account internally for a separate in-house "branch"
  - ICANN wants the new framework to be accountable, transparent, to
evaluate the impact, to quantify, etc. All the things that ICANN is
already used/pushed to do better and better.

I don't think we'll find a external foundation that meets all those
requirements, and creating a new organization will seriously raise the
overhead costs and the risks that it is not considered a temporary
framework. The only downside that I can imagine with option 1 is from
people that really really don't want ICANN.org to grow staff-wise, but
this will happen in any case even in a mixed option, just to implement a
tight oversight (which is not going to be light at all IMO).

Talk to you on Thursday.

Thanks.