[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Updated templates and action items

Elliot Noss enoss at tucows.com
Tue Apr 9 11:38:29 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I want to take a different view with respect to a number of Marilyn’s examples. The distinction I would like to draw is programs for the benefit of ICANN vs. programs for the benefit of the Internet. These are not the same thing and I believe we need to resolve this fundamental question.

I believe the point of this exercise is clearly to promote programs for the benefit of the Internet more broadly. A number of the examples below deal with items that benefit ICANN directly and may or may not benefit the Internet.

Participation broadly in ICANN matters is clearly about the institution itself and clearly should be within the operating budget. The last numbers I heard were that in some meetings as many as 25% of participants received funding. We should get current data to inform this discussion. I am in favour of this funding and would LOVE to see it more focused (needs-based rather than “earned” through position).

Coming from a constituency that suffers in having to respond to those who are much more well-funded than us I appreciate the importance AND this is not at all what the auction proceeds were intended to address. This is a very important discussion and I am surprised we are still here this late in the game.

EN