[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] For your review - updated proposal for individual appeals mechanism

Sylvia Cadena sylvia at apnic.net
Tue Aug 20 22:50:01 UTC 2019

Once a call is closed no one can apply to that particular call, but I have never heard of a grants program that does not allow organizations that were not successful to apply for future rounds of funding. They should be able to re-apply, as there is no plan to allocate all auction proceeds in one go. As long as the criteria is met, that should not be an issue.

It is very common to have a percentage of unsuccessful applicants re-applying. In our case, some organizations applied at least 3 times before they are granted funding. Considering the number of organizations that work around the objectives of this fund, that seems very likely.

Successful applicants that have already received funding should -in my opinion- be able to request additional funding as well. Either for the same project or for a totally different one. That is done by most large donors to support scale-up and achieve impact for a solution that works, or to support organizations that are done really well on their reporting and outcomes, as impact takes time. But that is -again- a different subject. That is particularly important with large organizations such as universities, where funding can go to one department/faculty once and then to a different one in the future.

Regards,

Sylvia

Sylvia Cadena | APNIC Foundation - Head of Programs | sylvia at apnic.net | http://www.apnic.foundation
ISIF Asia, WSIS Champion on International Cooperation 2018 & 2019 | http://www.isif.asia | FB ISIF.asia | @ISIF_Asia | G+ ISIFAsia |
6 Cordelia Street, South Brisbane, QLD,  4101 Australia | PO Box 3646 | +10 GMT | skypeID: sylviacadena | Tel: +61 7 3858 3100 |  Fax: +61 7  3858 3199
* Love trees. Print only if necessary.

On 21/8/19, 6:58 am, "Ccwg-auctionproceeds on behalf of John R Levine" <ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org on behalf of johnl at taugh.com> wrote:

    On Tue, 20 Aug 2019, Maureen Hilyard wrote:

    > I agree with Sylvia and especially with regards to feedback to those whose
    > proposals are rejected. They need appropriate feedback that will help them
    > to produce the applications that are going to  make the grade. This is more
    > needed by those from underserved communities that do not have experience in
    > writing such proposals yet are requesting something that is really
    > worthwhile.

    I really do not think it is our job to tell people how to rewrite their
    proposals so they can reapply.  (Will there even be a chance to reapply?)

    If we want to provide grant writing help, we should make that part of the
    plan and not confuse it with the grant evaluation.

    Regards,