[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Are we trying to reinvent the wheel or Coordinate with other donors: Other Internet Community funding initiatives..

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Mon Feb 4 20:03:23 UTC 2019

Dear all,

As one of the newest member of the group, let me ask a question - and
apologies, if it’s already been discussed..

The question being, has there been any discussion of existing - internet
funding initiatives (a quick list below) - their focus area, their
processes, opportunities for coordination and collaboration , and best
practices that this ccwg might want to incorporate into our work and
recommendations?

The US State Department’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labour
(DRL) annual funding call is , in my opinion, a good example for us to
review and comment as it has many of the sections, description of
process, review criteria and - Eligibility requirements that, to a
certain extent, would also have to be followed by ICANN or spun-off US
based entity that might be created.

I welcome others thoughts on this.

regards,

Robert
—

Short list of internet funding initiatives that might be of interest for
this CCWG to review (in some capacity)

Open Technology Fund: Internet Freedom Fund
https://www.opentech.fund/funds/internet-freedom-fund/

US State Department: Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL)
Annual funding for Internet Freedom Initiatives.
https://www.state.gov/j/drl/p/288385.htm
- In support of the U.S. International Strategy for Cyberspace, DRL’s
goal is to protect the open, interoperable, secure, and reliable
Internet by promoting fundamental freedoms, human rights, and the free
flow of information online through integrated support to civil society
for technology, digital safety, policy and advocacy, and applied
research programs.

CIRA : Community Investment Program (CA ccTLD funded)
https://cira.ca/community-investment-program

The European Digital Rights Fund
https://digitalrights.fund/

--