[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] New Deadline - 26 July 2019 - input on updated draft Final Report and outstanding questions

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 24 19:07:02 UTC 2019

I believe we need more clarity on describing the Mechanisms in section 4.

Mechanism A: The current wording is "An internal department dedicated to grant solicitation, implementation and evaluation is created within the ICANN organization . All grants are listed in ICANN's annual tax recordings."

The term "evaluation" is unclear. We have stated unequivocally that under no conditions would ICANN employees evaluate applications, and that function MUST be done by an external group. Therefore I presume the word "evaluations" here is evaluating whether projects were successful or not. This is a valid comments, but it is something that we have largely been silent on elsewhere in this report, so I am not sure why it is mentioned here. Regardless, it needs to be crystal clear that the application evaluations will not be done "internally"

For "All grants are listed in ICANN's annual tax recordings.", I do not believe that the expression "annual tax recordings" has any meaning. Perhaps it was supposed to be "annual tax returns". But I note that what is in or not in ICANN's annual tax returns is a matter for the US Government to decide and not ICANN. Whether a $50,000,000 grant or a $20,000 grant will be listed is not our decision to make. Perhaps we should simply require that all grants must be publicly documented. But should that not be the case REGARDLESS of the mechanism???

Mechanism B: I presume the phrase "established at a public charity" should be "established as a public charity". I do not understand why the issue of tax benefits is being raised as in our case all of the money is coming form ICANN which does not pay any taxes. So it SOUNDS like a benefit but is in fact meaningless in our case.

It should be made clear that at this point, it is not clear what parts would be outsourced and what will be kept within ICANN (except the application evaluation which must be outsourced).

Mechanism C: It is not clear here that the level of actual independence from ICANN will rest entirely on how independent the Board is. If it is largely (or anything other than a minority) controlled by ICANN (or the ICANN Board), then it is not independent) and we have not discussed this issue at all. ICANN's control should be on its fiduciary requirement which the Foundation would be subject to under contract, and not on how the operation is managed or what decisions it makes.

Alan